• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sea salt and Iodine deficiency

lenora

Hi Wofcub & YippieYi Yow.....I'm not even going to find out about thyroid or adrenal issues. I refuse to have one more treatment & both of those would rerquire such. Call me stupid....but that's exactly how I feel at this point in time!! Enough is enough. Besides, it would mean one more Dr., and exactly how many do you want in your life? Not that I dislike the people, most are doing what's best for their patient, I'm just tired of being a patient.

OK, as far as the salt goes, I am salting my food once again & am taking whatever's in the multivitamin. Who knows how much salt is right for different body types, anyway? Like I said, just like my youngest daughter, I used to have incredible amounts of salt on my food...and then one day, that was it. I believe in our cases it's all tied into menopause and whether or not the body naturally starts running high BP in the evening/night. One size doesn't fit all...that's for certain. Also, this particular daughter has had a teratoma which was removed after the birth of her youngest child (ovarian tumor impilicated in Autoimmune Encephalitis). Now I never had such a thing, don't have one now (it was checked out over the summer) and, as far as I know, don't have any type of cancer at present. Besides, you can only have so many things treated...at this age, I am aware of that. Youth has the benefit of fast healing and energy, old age has neither.

If I learn anything new I'll be sure to keep you informed. The same would be appreciated tee other way around. Thanks!! Yours, Lenora

Timaca

That's good @Timaca that you grew back your eyebrows after the iodine! So is it with hypothyroidism that half the eyebrows disappear?
I think that can be a cause. My thyroid has always tested fine, with the yearly test. I don't know what the blood tests would have revealed during the shortened eyebrows....that happened in between my annual tests. I am grateful for full eyebrows and a healthy thyroid. It really was a wake up call for me on how something so small (such as not eating enough iodine or salt) can really affect me!!!

lenora

Hi Timaca.....I'm glad your eyebrows also grew back. Mine have always been sparse, although no doctor has ever suggested I may have thyroid issues. Like I said before, I feel as if I'm dealing with enough and one more thing would just do me in.

I'm sure you're still fairly young and able to fight things off (even with lowerered resistance to do so). There does come a point when age prevents one from doing so...and I believe I've reached it. Not b/c I thought that way, it just naturally occurred.

I would like to hear from some older patients as I'm 73 and know that I'm on the outer frontier (so to speak). Our needs are different, but younger patients will have a lot to learn from us...just like we've been passing info along for many, many years. In return, you can help by putting us in touch with each other.

Do you just sprinkle your salt on your food, or do you actually take it? As I've said before, but will repeat in case you didn't read it, lack of salt is implicated in the electrolyte imbalance that they believe causes the Autoimmune Encephalitis (or at the very least plays a part in it). There are a lot of theories floating around just now, but nothing concrete yet....who knows how long that will take? You have a good physician, I so wish mine wasn't retiring. The other one's trying, but I know we're difficult patients to deal with. Yours, Lenora

YippeeKi YOW !!

That is supposed to be (for ordinary people, not specific illnesses etc) 100% RDA
I don't have thyroid issues, so the doctor informs me, but I still wonder if 150 is enough. But I don't want to just go and take too much of it....
Drs don't always run the right, or the most complete, tests on thyroid. Many of them, shamefully, still rely on the old Gold Standard, which was, and is, the cheapest, easiest, least demanding way to diagnose thyroid. It consists of diagnosing your thyroid health on the basis of the results of the TSH test.

Not only is the 'Normal' range so inconceivably and absurdly broad that you'd almost have to be comatose and on life support to register even slightly into the 'LOW' range, but it's based on the production of the pineal gland, not the thyroid. The pineal gland signals the thyroid when your production of T3 or T4 gets too low by releasing TSH, but it's what could be called a lagging indicator.
So is it with hypothyroidism that half the eyebrows disappear?
Yes. The thinning and disappearance of the outer edges, or wings, of your eyebrows are the classic indicator of hypothyroidism ....
My thyroid has always tested fine, with the yearly test.
Hi @Timaca ..... see above to @Wolfcub re thyroid tests.....

What kind of liquid iodine drops do you use? Always looking for a better answer, your drops might be it :woot::woot: :woot: :thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!!

Timaca

What kind of liquid iodine drops do you use? Always looking for a better answer, your drops might be it :woot::woot: :woot: :thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!!
The iodine I use is the store brand from Sprouts. 1 drop provides 150 mcg of iodine...the daily recommended amount.

Thanks for your thoughts on iodine testing...I've recently had a more thorough work up on my thyroid via lab tests and everything is fine. I think my thyroid has been fine all through my illness, but it was likely bordering on not fine when my eyebrows were shortening!!! :eek:

Best,

lenora

Hi Timaca....I've been taking the same amount of iodine in One A Day for women. I don't know how that will work out, but I've also been salting my food more.

Of note: My eyebrows had lost their out edges years and years ago. I'm sure you much younger than I am, but this is a common problem as old age approaches. I don't know what it means, but it is common....I'm not so very sure it's related to the thyroid at that point as it's just very, very common. I'm glad that your thyroid tests have been better. I never had mine done years ago b/c every Dr. was offering the same test, and what's the point when one said it was fine. After I found out about the other, I never bothered...but then it was years later anyway before it was available to the public. Now no one touch me anyway....and I can't fault them.

Timaca

Of note: My eyebrows had lost their out edges years and years ago. I'm sure you much younger than I am, but this is a common problem as old age approaches. I don't know what it means, but it is common....I'm not so very sure it's related to the thyroid at that point as it's just very, very common.
Hi Lenora~ My eyebrows grew back after I added iodine in to my diet. I'm 61 now so I'm not so sure that I'm younger than you! ;)

Here's what I found online about the amount of iodine in iodized salt: Iodized salt in the U.S. contains 45 micrograms of iodine per gram of salt. The recommended daily intake for adults is 150 micrograms, which can be obtained from about one-half to three-quarters of a teaspoon of table salt.

Based on this information, since I'm increasing my salt intake, I will decrease how often I take my supplemental iodine (from 1 drop daily to 1 drop 3 days a week). When I finish the supplemental iodine, I'm probably discontinue it and just rely on iodized salt....

Wayne

Here's what I found online about the amount of iodine in iodized salt: Iodized salt in the U.S. contains 45 micrograms of iodine per gram of salt.

Hi @Timaca -- I've read/heard that iodine will "evaporate" (or something to that effect) from iodized salt, and that the amount of iodine you actually get can be far lower than what the salt started out with.

The recommended daily intake for adults is 150 micrograms, which can be obtained from about one-half to three-quarters of a teaspoon of table salt.

I've read that that this amount is probably too low for most people, especially for pregnant women, and for women who have any kind of thyroid, breast, or ovarian cancer or dysfunctions (such as cysts). In these cases, I've heard of some women taking as much as 100-200 grams a day for periods of time, and which was able to cause advanced forms of cancer to regress.

Pregnant women can especially become susceptibe to iodine deficiency, because it's necessary for the multiple cycles of apoptosis that occurs in the developing fetus, and the developing infant. Supplemental iodine is prescribed by some complementary/holistic physicians for general nutritional wellness, and especially for women suffering from post-partem depression. Apparently this depression can sometimes disappear almost miraculously if the mother has become quite deficient in iodine.

Some people can be sensitive to just about any amount of iodine supplementation, but I've found myself able to do 12.5 mg/day, which felt just about right for a few months. I then cut back from that amount after I felt my body had "restocked" its supply. I once did a fairly lengthy blog on some of the iodine information I'd researched that you may want to check out.

Iodine and Apoptosis - Implications For Immunity, Autoimmunity, Leaky Gut, Methylation, Cancer, etc.

Wolfcub

Drs don't always run the right, or the most complete, tests on thyroid. Many of them, shamefully, still rely on the old Gold Standard, which was, and is, the cheapest, easiest, least demanding way to diagnose thyroid. It consists of diagnosing your thyroid health on the basis of the results of the TSH test.

Not only is the 'Normal' range so inconceivably and absurdly broad that you'd almost have to be comatose and on life support to register even slightly into the 'LOW' range, but it's based on the production of the pineal gland, not the thyroid. The pineal gland signals the thyroid when your production of T3 or T4 gets too low by releasing TSH, but it's what could be called a lagging indicator.
I really appreciate that extra info @YippeeKi YOW !! I didn't know that about the pineal. Thanks.
Yes. The thinning and disappearance of the outer edges, or wings, of your eyebrows are the classic indicator of hypothyroidism ....
I don't have that sign, and never had it. If that's a reliable "rule of thumb" sign, then goody for me because that's one thing to cross off the list :sluggish:

lenora

Hi Timaca....I'm 73 so yes, you seem young. I know, it's hard to believe, but true. Take your youth and do as much as you can with it. Thanks for the info about the iodized salt.