• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientists make immune cells in mice that fight off HIV

Lesley

Really interesting study.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100703/hl_hsn/scientistsmakeimmunecellsinmicethatfightoffhiv;_ylt=AstI7KVsxtz8vkI_AvNQ7f4PLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTNsYTIxYnRzBGFzc2V0A2hzbi8yMDEwMDcwMy9zY2llbnRpc3RzbWFrZWltbXVuZWNlbGxzaW5taWNldGhhdGZpZ2h0b2ZmaGl2BHBvcwMxMQRzZWMDeW5fY

Research in mice suggests that scientists may have a new lead on using gene therapy against the virus that causes AIDS.
The researchers tinkered with human stem cells and then inserted them into mice where they multiplied into immune system cells that provided protection against infection with HIV, according to a study released online July 2 in Nature Biotechnology.

"It's a one-shot treatment if it works," noted study co-author Paula Cannon, associate professor of molecular microbiology at the University of Southern California.

Daffodil

havent they tried this on 4 leukemia patients already? i read that they altered the stem cells in 2 other ways as well, because HIV would probably start using another receptor to get into the cells. they only transplanted a small amount of cells because of safety concerns, but the cells survived. i cannot find the article :-/

my understanding is that they had hoped the altered cells would be selected for and replace the other ones but they did not......but that was an older article i read.

wonder if they will be able to get this stupid XMRV out of my body in my lifetime!

maybe we should start saving our pennies now hehe

sue