• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientist recreating human gut microbiome into a small pill, could lead to major disease advances

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Tagbo Niepa is an assistant professor of chemical engineering at the University of Pittsburgh who recently received a $2 million dollar award to develop the capsules meant to replicate a strong microbial community.

“With this technology, we can actually collect and store samples from healthy individuals, screen them to understand the composition of their microbiome, and later administer to the patient when they’re sick,” says Niepa in a university press release.
https://gutnews.com/gut-microbiome-pill-capsule/

linusbert

this is awesome, i hope they deliver fast.

what i wonder, how do they know what microbiome is healthy and what not? what if one biome fixes cfs at the cost of having later colorectal cancer? or alzheimers?

BrightCandle

The fundamental issue is that quite a lot of really important bacteria die in the presence of oxygen, so they are dead in the stool. These are very important bacteria and so far no one has worked out how to maintain them and deliver them back to a patient. I think until we have worked that out this is science fiction, its a good thing to work on but there are fundamental problems that need solving.