• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Science Media Centre with Holgate/Crawley/McCrone - more anti-patient prejudice? (FITNET)

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Very often, before some orthodoxy collapses, it puts up a last big fight. And it can appear to get a lot of airtime and defeating them at that point can sometimes seem like it's impossible. I think the media blitz here is a furious fightback against inevitable defeat. Between PACE and what's coming out internationally, their position is hugely under threat. Patient voices have been ignored. Increasing disability after questionable 'treatments' has been ignored. That is a scandal in itself, because they can't say they weren't warned about the effects of their 'treatments'. The BPS school are desperate to control the narrative.

The biggest issue is the welfare of the children in this particular trial, and the need to get as much information to parents of young ME sufferers. Some parents will be taken in by the BPS crowd, because they trust authority, don't understand the politics of ME, know nothing about the PACE trial sham or the international research, and also probably prefer to believe it's behavioural rather than a serious illness from which their child might not recover.

Beyond that, these 'researchers' will not have careers in this field for much longer. I can't see them being around in ten years, but even five years or less might see them kicked out, or, at the very least, much more marginalised. The science is against them. ME will be solved by researchers outside the UK, and that's as it should be, since that's where most of the good science is happening. I think one of the things that's most infuriating is the way real experts are ignored. They are doing the hard work on solving this, and people with cult beliefs about illness delusion and deconditioning are taking all the bows, while a clueless and unquestioning media helps them on. The UK media is beyond useless, but that should not come as much of a shock to anyone who lives here.

When the time comes, there should be no holding back re: the investigation on what happened to ME sufferers at the hands of psychology and psychiatry. This is a bandwagon that will be looking for other patient groups to target. The wheels need to come off and the wagon dismantled for good. Easier said than done of course. I also think the Science Media Centre needs to be investigated. It has done nothing but mislead on this illness, and has worked contrary to the interests of science. It is now at the centre of a huge medical scandal. Continuing to misrepresent the illness, the patients, and the science is hopefully going to reverberate on them like a boomerang.

Molly98

What I can not understand is that given the advances recently in ME bio research, particularly Ron Davis and Fluge and Mella, who are really strongly hinting that we will know a lot more in a years time, why on earth would any government, health service, put £1 million into this FITSHIT trial? The results of which won't even be known until years later by which time there may be a good understanding of the disease process and may be effective treatments. Rituximab or another drug may be proved highly effective for a high proportion of us and FITSHIT will be ripped up for arse paper so to speak.

Perhaps those of us in the UK would qualify for asylum and refugee status in Norway for being discriminated against, persecuted by government bodies, health services and benefit system and treatment being withheld on the basis of our disability and we would be treated with Rituximab or what ever else was found to be effective, and by the time the FITSHIT trial had finished we would be back in the land of the living so to speak and FITSHIT will be a laughing stock.

John Mac

I thought the BBC had finally got something right. They have been busy plugging the interview with EC at 8.10, so when they started "It is designed to be the deciding conflict..." I presumed this must be it. But no. It was about Mosul.

Very often, before some orthodoxy collapses, it puts up a last big fight

Easy to understand the BBC's confusion there, mixing BPS & ISIL

Chrisb

It occurred to me why they would need the media blitz. They will wish to ensure the recruitment of a cohort twice the size of the Netherlands study to absolutely ensure that the findings are double Dutch.

There may still be some out there who need persuading.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
It occurred to me why they would need the media blitz. They will wish to ensure the recruitment of a cohort twice the size of the Netherlands study to absolutely ensure that the findings are double Dutch.

There may still be some out there who need persuading.

In which case it will be important not to let critics get too much airtime.

Daisymay

"Landmark chronic fatigue trial could cure two-thirds
By James Gallagher Health and science reporter, BBC News website
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-37822068"

So children start out the course of treatment having read this that there is a 66% chance they will recover in the trial group, not nearly so good in the control group....just like PACE and the newsletters, bias built in except they are biasing it here with bells on!

ryan31337

Some interesting quotes from Crawley though, showing how the BPS school is adapting its' explanation to take account of the growing biological understanding of the condition : "I think chronic fatigue syndrome is very clearly a biological illness...triggered by a virus or a bacterial infection... we think chronic fatigue syndrome is several different illnesses with different underlying biologies and different mechanisms...".

Something that frustrates me immensely is that there won't really be an end to their involvement in CFS (as they define it) or acknowledgement of their abhorrent actions. CFS sub-groups/diseases will eventually be well defined by real scientists and relabelled with appropriate names, no longer existing as CFS. What is left behind they will happily take up, until there eventually comes a time that only the mood disorder patients are left and they are actually considered the right people to treat them.

All along this journey they are just valiantly doing their best to help, with whatever limited understanding was available at the time... its a shame no one seems to learn from history...

Last edited:

Daisymay

I am really amazed that the pure announcement of an online CBT trial (???) gets this much media attention. Normally the media reports actual results after a study is finished or they might cover a trial before it has even started because the scope or trial design is so innovative. Not the case here at all, so the behavior of the media gets even more mysterious.

Quite so and when you think of all the medical research going on in the whole of the UK for this to get ANY coverage is bizarre.

Daisymay

Completely agree with this. And if Crawley believes that this is an effective treatment/cure for kids with ME then why are kids being tested in MEGA. I really don't see how she can reconcile the two things here, either ME is a psychiatric condition that responds to CBT or its a physical condition that needs investigating as such, I guess that she will claim that its a physical condition that responds to CBT, unlike all other physical conditions ever known to man.

And if it's such an effective treatment why conduct the MEGA trial at all?

Molly98

@Molly98
'FITSHIT' .... :rofl: thank you so much for that light relief in what has been an otherwise demoralising day
I like some of the others offer up too SHITNET, SHITFIT, perhaps this is what we need after a depressing day Char47 a poll on what term we should use to describe this latest BPS research
FITSHIT
SHITFIT or
SHITNET

which one should it be?:trophy:

Countrygirl

24-hour BBC news is quietly talking to itself in the corner of my room, and the banner headline is moving repeatedly across the screen. A successful treatment for children with CFS is being trialled by the NHS. :bang-head:

Cheshire

CBT won’t cure my chronic fatigue, any more than it would cancer – it’s a physical illness
Scott Jordan Harris

The announcement of a new initiative to offer online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to teenage suffers of ME, also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, has re-opened debate about whether ME is a mental illness.

The reality is there is no debate about the answer to that among anyone who understand the question. ME is a physical illness and is recognised as such by the World Health Organization, America’s National Institute of Health, and all other medical institutions worthy of the name. A 2015 report by the American Institute of Medicine proposed changing the name of the illness to “Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease” to underline the fact it is a physical disease.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment...-than-it-would-cancer-its-a-physical-illness/