• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scary! (Muscle spasms)

Tia

Hey guys,

A coupal of nights ago when a friend stayed overnight, he noticed that I hade real musclespasms in my sleep and I noticed it to when I woke up, they didnt stop when I woke up. It was real course and my arms and back spasmd, I never had anything like it before and my anxiety is high since 6 weeks.

Anyone else with this? It reminds me of the youtube-videos one gets to see on there where they spasm really hard. Scary! I don't think I've had in since though. Something that struck med to with spasms is that one gets them when one is dying in ME? And since I've had this since birth.. (33 years)

Thoughts?

Carrigon

I have had the muscle spasms since day one of being sick and have never been able to get rid of them in like twenty five years. What does help is high doses of magnesium. If you take 250 to 500mg of magnesium every day, you'll notice it helps alot, like you'll get it less frequently and less intense. Also try adding bananas to your diet for potassium.

From all the research I've done over the years, the nearest I can come to with why we get the spasms is that it is either coming from the neurological symptoms or it is central nervous system damage.

Wonko

muscle spasms/fits arent uncommon in my experience and in general are nothing to be concerned about - they are just another thing to get used to

Tia

Okay, thanks you two. :) It sounds reassuring. I'm going on a B12 cure now in the week to come, and will see it it helps, if not its the magnesium, right now I'm on Ginseng and omega3.

I was thinking about the central nervous system to, actually since I have anxiety and have had for about 1,5 month back, it's getting beter but not dissapearing.

Thank GOD for you people though! <3

free at last

They can also be caught through sleeping with someone.A girl i slept with showed these spasms in the night, sometime past, then i started getting them.

Big ones on occasion, have them everyday, and everywhere, had them for 29 years, i think retroviruses can cause them, and mght be a neurological effect of infection, xmrv htlv1 maybe ? I have no proof though.There may be other causes too ?

dannybex

Might be a mercury or other heavy metal problem?

Okay, thanks you two. :) It sounds reassuring. I'm going on a B12 cure now in the week to come, and will see it it helps, if not its the magnesium, right now I'm on Ginseng and omega3.

I was thinking about the central nervous system to, actually since I have anxiety and have had for about 1,5 month back, it's getting beter but not dissapearing.

Hi Tia,

Have you had any tests for heavy metal toxicity? That might -- and I emphasize "might" -- be the problem.

I've had twitchings and muscle spasms off and on for years, decades even, and even 10 years before I officially was diagnosed with CFS, and was always puzzled why magnesium and calcium (and/or other minerals) never seemed to help -- in fact often made things worse.

I was found to have a heavy metal problem (mercury, arsenic) back in 2009, both by blood and hair tests, but didn't take them seriously enough until a couple of months ago, when I started the methylation protocol (too fast, or using too high doses of supplements, including b12).

My anxiety became extreme, and my twitching and cramping got much, much worse -- VERY scary. The doc and Rich (and others on the yahoo 'frequent-dose-chelation' group) have suggested that this is because the different types of folates and b12s caused my liver to dump stored 'heavy metals' too quickly -- plus the probiotics may have methylated the folate -- causing this extreme reaction.

The twitching and cramping has lessened, and the anxiety has too, a little bit, but it's still really bad. Some people can tolerate certain types of b12 just fine (see Kurt's post on the thread that I posted below), but I'm staying away from it -- even though I need it -- for now, to see if avoiding it helps resolve this situation.

IMHO -- twitching may be related to heavy metal toxicity and/or methylation problems.

Best regards,

Dan

http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showth...ethylate-Mercury-and-other-heavy-metals/page2

Dreambirdie

work in progress

I agree with Dan's thoughts about this, as I've had some of the same experiences. Heavy metals can cause these symptoms, and especially because heavy metals will often displace the healthy minerals like magnesium and calcium and zinc.

Increasing magnesium would help, though the problem is that oral magnesium is not absorbed well, and that it also causes diarrhea. I have found that the ANcient Minerals magnesium oil, applied on your skin, has worked better for me than any other mag supplement.

I would be VERY careful with the B12 protocol if you are already so symptomatic with the muscle spasms. I also had a very intense heavy metal dump caused by the methylation protocol.You have to have a certain level of strength and stamina to be able to handle it, or else you have to go real s--l-o-w-l-y.

Good luck with it.

helen41

another home remedy is tonic water, which contains quinine. It seems to help me better than manesium and potassium. It is a sugared pop though, so doesn't work for all