• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scapula pain

Sarahloudobby

Hello
This is a weird one but since I had covid again in February I have been getting a lot of pain in and around my shoulders blades and between them. My neck, upper back and shoulders are so tender and stiff to touch. I turn my head 90 degrees and can’t turn any further without pain. Anyone else?

BrightCandle

Its at least very common, a lot of people talk about it and its something I suffer from too. It gets better and worse with the rest of my condition. I do two exercises to reduce the pain and impact, the first is face pulls using resistance bands just to strengthen the muscles there and the second is upper back stretches to just get the muscles moving a little better. It doesn't eliminate the problem it just takes the edge off but like all exercise you have to be careful about doing it.

ljimbo423

I have been getting a lot of pain in and around my shoulders blades and between them. My neck, upper back and shoulders are so tender and stiff to touch. I turn my head 90 degrees and can’t turn any further without pain. Anyone else?

This is my most constant and most debilitating pain. It's why I usually have to take breaks from what I'm doing. It seems to be the most painful when I'm hunched over doing dishes in the sink or prepping food in the sink.

I usually have the same problem with my neck also. If I turn it more than about 90 (typo) 45 degrees, it really hurts. I don't know of anything to help it, except stretching. This does help a little.

Edit- The good news is, there hasn't been any damage found to be associated with these pains. The bad news is, it hurts like hell!!

Last edited:

lenora

When all else fails, I tend to fall back on using ice packs. I buy the ones made by Ace....covered in blue denim, put them in the freezer and wrap them in a light tea towel. Since they come in many multiple sizes, I can use them all at once (if necessary).

I lay directly on the largest one, and make certain my spinal column is included. I know it sounds horrid, but I've been doing this for years now. Just leave it on for 15-20 minutes, and you can still move it to elsewhere...your neck perhaps. Along with an anti-inflammatory and even a muscle relaxant (I just take l/2 tablet now) this brings wonderful relief. Much better than a heating pad, which tends to tighten muscles on me.

I'm then pain free for a few days. Of course I've since fractured my five places in my pelvis and a vertebra, but this also helps there if the pain is bad enough. If it doesn't work, then you'll know....but I think you'll find some good relief.

I use it everywhere....nerves under my arms, abdominal area, ribs, neck and it has been my one true help. Good luck. Yours, Lenora

Sarahloudobby

Thank you for the advice it’s really helpful. The doctor gave me some stronger pain killers but I have to take lanzaprazole first to protect my stomach lining x

Tammy

This is my most constant and most debilitating pain. It's why I usually have to take breaks from what I'm doing. It seems to be the most painful when I'm hunched over doing dishes in the sink or prepping food in the sink.
Ditto. So you have it constantly with certain things you do? Does the pain vary in intensity?