• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scanner for Chronic Pain (+?)

Wishful

An interesting new technique for scanning the body to find malfunctions.

"We know that 18F-FDG PET has the ability to accurately evaluate increased glucose metabolism that arises from acute or chronic pain generators. As such, in our study we examined PET/MRI as a potential solution to determine the exact molecular underpinnings of one's pain."

Their work focused on chronic pain, but maybe it will locate malfunctions from ME. It might, for example, be able to identify areas of the brain experiencing the chronic inflammation known to exist due to ME.

If nothing else, it's nice to see the development of new tools for figuring out what's really going on in our bodies. Maybe one of them will identify the core dysfunction of ME.