• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Same poop, different gut

charityfundraiser

For physicians and researchers alike, fecal transplants present an opportunity to gain insight into disease

http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/57795/

As director of the Centre for Digestive Diseases in New South Wales, Borody oversees five to six fecal transplants a week, most of which are for patients with irritable bowel syndrome. But occasionally, he treats patients that, in addition to bowel complaints, also have seemingly non-gut related conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome, acne, and multiple sclerosis. And he's getting some early evidence that, in some cases, the transplant can reverse the symptoms of those accompanying conditions as well.

Glynis Steele

Hi,

Thanks for posting this, I love it!!:D I've been looking at studies regarding gut bacteria for ages, and have been astounded at the conditions that are implicated. This just confirms it all. The problem seems to be the thought of having someone else's poop transplanted into yourself is not a pleasant one!

Thanks again.

Glynis

Athene

ihateticks.me
I just have to ask, would anyone actually consider trying this? Suppose it were free, would you do it?

My vote -No! I couldn't face it!!!! Argh!!!!

my digestive tract(including stomach) are exceedingly inflamed; can't get out of this current flare. Do you realize that inflamed systems / organs are often the cause of death? so obviously, extremely important to control this malfunction.

Death or Fecal Transplant? as a last resort, or maybe even sooner than that, I choose Life.

LaurelW

I saw a TV show about this--they usually do it from someone the person lives with, like a spouse. They stick a tube down into your stomach. Wouldn't bother me at all, after all, I wouldn't be smelling or tasting anything. It's all mush down there anyway.

camas

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had c. diff. My late husband suffered with that throughout his cancer treatment. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Otherwise, I don't know. I somehow pictured it being more of bottom-up than top-down procedure which somehow sounds worse. :Retro tongue:

Athene

ihateticks.me
"I somehow pictured it being more of bottom-up than top-down procedure which somehow sounds worse."
He he! I thought so too....

If it can cure C diff then, yes, I would have it. I had that 25 years ago and still haven't quite got over the mental trauma.