• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Salt Caves

T

tig519

I am new to this forum and an FM sufferer.

My question is whether or not anyone has tried salt caves and experienced any benefits from them. I have one that just opened near my house and I'm curious. This one is specifically Himalayan.

Thanks in advance.
Kathy

Victoria

Hi Kathy,

Having an interest in Tibetan Medicine (particularly Padma 28 Tibetan medicine which I tried for about 3 months but couldn't afford any more) and the Himalayan region, I was surprised to know nothing about the salt as a therapy.

I keep an open mind about any alternative therapy (well, until I hear a lot of reports which are negative, that is).

The therapy sounds interesting. If you try it, and my brief scan of the internet a few minutes ago gave me an overview of this new therapy, I would be most interested to hear about it (even though I live in Australia).

I have FM & chronic inflammation. It appears to be very good for inflammatory conditions according to the internet - not that I could try it as we don't have any salt caves built using this product (as far as I know).

As long as it's not too expensive, I'd give it a go. It can't do any harm that I can see.

As for eating it. I believe the test is:

Put a tablespoon of any salt your wish to test, in a glass of water overnight & if it is disolved the next morning, it is supposed to be assimilated by the body easily.

I tried this test with the 2 different salts I had at home.

The Maldon Sea Salt (which is quite expensive) dissolved completely, but the Organic Celtic Sea Salt from France didn't dissolve - there was a grey/black residue on the bottom of the glass of water.

I don't know what to think now. Is my wonderful tasting organic celtic sea salt good or not?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Victoria

jenbooks

There are some very polluted areas off the coast of France. I'd go with the salt that dissolves not leaves a residue.

Also, we generally don't need to supplement with much salt if we eat a good healthy diet. And many of our foods are already salted.

The salt caves are good for asthma and allergies--the salt is antibacterial and it may shift the ion-channels' function in the lungs (I presume)

I have had great luck with Himalayan Sea Salt, one should be very careful however as some low quality samples are out there. I tried it and like the Himalayan taste.

The salt does have minerals and nutrients that may be lacking,, these nutrients are not a cure or crazy just a replenishing of nutes.

Sunday

Victoria, about the Celtic sea salt: my understanding is that they don't refine it so much, so it is "dirty" because it is more in its natural state, instead of being bleached (which they claim removes minerals, and they may well be right).

*GG*

My question is whether or not anyone has tried salt caves and experienced any benefits from them. I have one that just opened near my house and I'm curious. This one is specifically Himalayan.

Thanks in advance.
Kathy

Is this a store or an actual Salt Cave? Because I see your are in Illinois, so I would not expect there to be Himalayan salt in Illinois. Sorry, don't know much about salts, besides that I was advised years ago to take plenty of salt!

carolwxyz99

There is one recently opened near me in the UK, so I was wondering whether to give it a try. The first appointment is free.

Thanks in advance.
Kathy

Tammie

never heard of this, and I live rt next door to Naperville.....looks interesting, but too expensive for me (& as is typical, they offer a discount for the elderly, but nothing for those on disability.......given how broke most people on disability are, this sort of thing really annoys me.....not that i don't think the elderly are deserving, but being older does not automatically = broke and even when older people have fixed incomes, they typically get more than those on disability)

muffin

Salt mines

If I were in a true salt mine they would have to pick me up and carry me and my tongue away from the salt walls - that's how much I need/crave salt.

This does sound interesting and I will check it out. Never heard of it but given that many of us do have extreme salt cravings (not just to get our blood volumne up), there may be another reason that the body is after salt, etc.

Thanks for this info.