• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sakudo

usedtobeperkytina

Not long after I plummeted, I saw some reports of the conference in Florida. It was within the last three years. One of the most exciting announcements from that conference was the Sakudo test. They used near infrared spectograph, something like that. They were able to distinguish healthy from CFS patients at a percentage of over 90%.

About a year after that announcement, I asked Klimas in an online question and answer session through Prohealth if she has heard anything new and if it is still promising as a diagnostic test. She said she was in Europe or Russia recently and heard that that research is still looking promising.

I heard Sakudo, the Japanese who did the study, filed for a patent.

What is the news on this?

And what is in the blood that showed the different results?

I remember one of the questions was whether the test could distinguish between CFS and MS patients. The study showed you could distinguish between PWC and healthy controls.

Tina

K

Katie

Can I bump this, I'd not heard of this test before and if anyone has some info to add I'd be a happy lady :)

There were a couple of threads on here about this, but I can't find them now. From what I remember it was a test related to some stress hormone.

I don't know how I've managed to lose those threads - I thought I'd even posted in one. I'm sure we'll hear if something comes of it.

starryeyes

IF, that's not the Sakudo study. The study you cited is where they overexercised lab rats and found a protein in their blood that was elevated in PWC as well.

Personally, I don't feel that they are studying ME/CFS but they are studying chronic fatigue.

Sakudo was doing near-infrared (Vis-NIR) spectroscopy on the brains of people with CFS in 2006 to try to find a way to diagnose us. I don't know what ever came of his studies.

leelaplay

IF, that's not the Sakudo study. The study you cited is where they overexercised lab rats and found a protein in their blood that was elevated in PWC as well.

Personally, I don't feel that they are studying ME/CFS but they are studying chronic fatigue.

Sakudo was doing near-infrared (Vis-NIR) spectroscopy on the brains of people with CFS in 2006 to try to find a way to diagnose us. I don't know what ever came of his studies.

Sorry tee - my tired brain got Japan and possible ME/CFS test and didn't go any further.

Thanks Andrew - nice google search (ouch - keep that elbow away from me! [big grin]) Guess I could have done that too.:Retro redface:

The google reference Andrew posted also has the pubmed reference to the Sakuda research and the studies since then that have cited it

usedtobeperkytina

yes, I am familiar with the study. It showed a chart where the PWC fell in a certain area and the normals fell on the other side. They were represented by dots.

But it didn't say what caused the differences. What makes the dots fall on one side and one on the other?

And I have not seen anything else about this. Yet the study results were in 2006.

Tina

starryeyes

IF wrote: Sorry tee - my tired brain got Japan and possible ME/CFS test and didn't go any further.

Hey no worries! I knew that's what happened because I have brainfog too. :hug:

Tina, good memory about that study. It's a shame we haven't heard more. I hope we do at some point here.

tee

usedtobeperkytina

Well

Well, I was so excited when I first read about it. And I was new to CFS then, so my brain was not full of all other studies.

I kept waiting for more info. As I said, I asked Klimas about it later.

I just wonder what happened. I even tried to look up how to contact the scientist.

Tina