• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

safety of Covid vaccine and vasculitis (caused by Endemic Typhus, like Lyme) ?

Bansaw

I am pondering getting the Covid vaccine soon.

My thoughts are complicated by the fact I contracted Endemic Typhus a while ago, and that potentially may have caused vasculitis (inflamation/or constricting of blood vessels).

I've heard that a minority of cases do report blood clots as you're probably aware, and this makes me wary.
I wonder if anyone has any info on people like me having complications with Covid. I did look up Lyme patients response and that seems to mirror the general population. (Endemic Typhus is the brother of Lyme - so close that I test positive for Lyme).

Also, I wondered about taking something before my vaccine like asprin to help blood flow.... (?)

Zebra

Also, I wondered about taking something before my vaccine like asprin to help blood flow.... (?)

Hi, @Bansaw,

I've been watching this thread and hoping someone more knowledgeable than me would respond. :)

I would caution you against taking aspirin prophylactically or without first discussing with your doctor because ....

My understanding is that even though news reporters (tv, radio, print, Internet) use the terminology "blood clots," the condition that some folks are experiencing post-vaccination is actually more complex, and more life-threatening.

I believe it's called Vaccine-Induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VIITT), which somehow causes blood clots to form while platelet counts plummet, making it tricky to recognize and treat. I will paste a link to a New England Journal of Medicine article below.

You and I may, or may not, have somewhat similar risk factors, as I had drug-induced vasculitis a while back (yup, that's a thing).

If this is helpful to you at all, I will let you know that I went ahead and got my first Pfizer vaccination today. I am both elated and terrified.

If I were to develop symptoms of VIIT and remain conscious, I have identified a capable (teaching) hospital in the area where I would present myself at the ER. Additionally, I've let my family know what my wishes would be if I were to experience a catastrophic brain bleed or clot. Not a happy thought, but I'm a practical person and it's important to me.

Please do check out this article which explains the condition in greater detail. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejme2106315

Gingergrrl

I believe it's called Vaccine-Induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VIITT), which somehow causes blood clots to form while platelet counts plummet, making it tricky to recognize and treat. I will paste a link to a New England Journal of Medicine article below.

Your post made me realize something that I had not thought of until this moment and I am curious how it relates to the blood clots being triggered by the COVID vaccines. Several years ago, my dog had a delayed reaction to the rabies vaccine called "vaccine-induced autoimmune vasculitis". I realize that she was a dog not human but I am hoping someone might be able to figure out if there is a similar process with what is happening with the blood clots from the COVID vaccines?

What happened with my dog is that her ears started turning black and the fur on her ears started falling off. I thought it was a skin problem so we saw a dermatology veterinarian. The derm vet examined her and immediately asked me if she'd gotten a rabies vaccine within the last four weeks and it had actually been three weeks since the vaccine. I told her yes and she immediately diagnosed her with "vaccine-induced autoimmune vasculitis". She said that it was attacking & damaging the smallest blood vessels at that point which went to her ears. She said it was potentially very serious and prescribed "pentoxifylline" and "tacrolimus cream".

She said we were very lucky to catch it early, and my dog ended up being okay, but she stayed on those meds for the rest of her life until she passed away. The thing that most struck me was that the vet told me that my dog must never, ever get another rabies vaccine b/c it could literally kill her.

The vet (who knew me) also commented how interesting it was that both me and my dog had both gotten rare autoimmune reactions (although mine was not to a vaccine).

You and I may, or may not, have somewhat similar risk factors, as I had drug-induced vasculitis a while back (yup, that's a thing).

Which drug caused your vasculitis? (only if you are comfortable sharing)

If this is helpful to you at all, I will let you know that I went ahead and got my first Pfizer vaccination today. I am both elated and terrified.

You are very brave and have my deepest respect. Please keep us posted re: how you are doing.

Please do check out this article which explains the condition in greater detail. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejme2106315

Thank you for this link and I have bookmarked it.

Bansaw

Thanks !
My doc actually recommended to me good quality fish oil.
Omega 3 can mitigate blood clotting in some people.

Zebra

My doc actually recommended to me good quality fish oil.

I'm so glad you were able to talk to your doctor about this issue. Mine just responded with the standard "the benefits outweigh the risks," which was not helpful to me, at all.

About a week prior to my vaccination I had my p-ANCA and c-ANCA antibody levels checked, and they both came back negative.

Are there any antibodies associated with your infection-induced vasculitis? If so, you may wish to get them checked first.

In retrospect, I wish we had also checked my d-dimer, but what's done is done.

I wish you the best of luck with your health and your COVID vaccination, Bansaw!

Last edited:

Zebra

Which drug caused your vasculitis? (only if you are comfortable sharing)

I don't mind sharing at all.

It was an antibiotic called Minocycline, a member of the Tetracycline family of antibiotics. Its brand name is Minocin. Minocycline is also associated with drug-induced lupus.

It was prescribed to me for a skin infection, and I had only taken it for a few day before becoming quite ill.

Given your history of severe autoimmune disease, you may wish to avoid this particular antibiotic. I actually will not take anything in the Tetracycline family. There are plenty of other types of antibiotics to choose from.

You are very brave and have my deepest respect. Please keep us posted re: how you are doing.

You are too kind! My decision was 50% for myself and 50% for my mom. She is 86, fully vaccinated, and in poor health. I want to be able to hug her, sit near her, and hold her hand, as much as my stupid ME/CFS will let me!

Gingergrrl

I don't mind sharing at all. It was an antibiotic called Minocycline, a member of the Tetracycline family of antibiotics. Its brand name is Minocin. Minocycline is also associated with drug-induced lupus. It was prescribed to me for a skin infection, and I had only taken it for a few day before becoming quite ill. Given your history of severe autoimmune disease, you may wish to avoid this particular antibiotic. I actually will not take anything in the Tetracycline family. There are plenty of other types of antibiotics to choose from.

Thank you for this info and I appreciate it. I actually avoid antibiotics like the plague and have not taken one since 2010 when I had the extreme neurotoxic reaction to Levaquin that injured the tendon in my arm and was the first trigger (in a series of immune triggers) that caused my illness. I don't want to take this off-track but I really appreciate the info.

You are too kind! My decision was 50% for myself and 50% for my mom. She is 86, fully vaccinated, and in poor health. I want to be able to hug her, sit near her, and hold her hand, as much as my stupid ME/CFS will let me!

My dad is 87 and thankfully, he just got his 2nd Pfizer shot this week.