• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Runny Nose or Non Allergic Rhinnitis

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Approximately 3 months ago my nose started running constantly. I wrote it off to allergies for a few weeks, but it did not subside. I tried Flonase, Claritin, Afrin and Zyrtec and a combination of Zyrtec and Afrin will not stop it. It slows it down, but it is still very bad. I also tried my "Nettie Pot", but it helps very, very little.

My nose is so raw from blowing it. I had to do it 19 times yesterday and it is always the same large volume and completely clear or white.

Supposedly hormone changes can cause it, but I would have thought I would have gotten it before now. There have been no medication changes that I can remember.

Any feedback appreciated! Thanks

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Low aldolsteron levels can do this, its a hormone that controls fluid balance etc. Its made in the adrenal glands and a sign of adrenal fatigue. I have been doing alot of reading of late on these hormones and can see that us cfsers really have some screwed uo hormones and thats what can be giving us some strange symptoms. Sometimes the sedating type antihistamines can help, i use polaramine, which i dont find to sedating and can handle it well and controls the nose.

cheers!!!

Approximately 3 months ago my nose started running constantly. I wrote it off to allergies for a few weeks, but it did not subside. I tried Flonase, Claritin, Afrin and Zyrtec and a combination of Zyrtec and Afrin will not stop it. It slows it down, but it is still very bad. I also tried my "Nettie Pot", but it helps very, very little.

My nose is so raw from blowing it. I had to do it 19 times yesterday and it is always the same large volume and completely clear or white.

Supposedly hormone changes can cause it, but I would have thought I would have gotten it before now. There have been no medication changes that I can remember.

Any feedback appreciated! Thanks

August59

10-4 on the screwed up hormones. I'm getting ready to have some labs done, but since I don't have insurance I've got to be very particular which ones to get. What is the best lab for checking aldosterone levels. I know I'm getting free t4, free t3 and e2 sensitive. I already take Androgel which messes up TSH and on pain meds which screws up ACTH Challenge test.

I'm sure my cholesterol is elevated. Androgel can cause abnormal cholesterol test too.

heapsreal

Also get dhea checked and morning cortisol(although the 4 times a day saliva test for cortisol is said to be more accurate) wouldnt hurt either as well as total testosterone and free testosterone. Feeling crappy could be from elevated E2 levels. Add pregnenolone as it flows down and replaces any other hormone like dhea that maybe suppressed from testosterone, dont add dhea as it will increase E2 levels. Low cortisol can disrupt thyroid as well which pregnenolone can help fix. If E2 is high(middle to upper third of lab ranges) then ask doc about arimidex to control E2, starting dose is 1/2mg twice a week like mondays and thursdays. U may find getting all this right will correct your cholesterol.

10-4 on the screwed up hormones. I'm getting ready to have some labs done, but since I don't have insurance I've got to be very particular which ones to get. What is the best lab for checking aldosterone levels. I know I'm getting free t4, free t3 and e2 sensitive. I already take Androgel which messes up TSH and on pain meds which screws up ACTH Challenge test.

I'm sure my cholesterol is elevated. Androgel can cause abnormal cholesterol test too.

August59

My DHEA has been low for 3 years unless I take 100mg a day, but I feel like too much is turning to estradiol. I'm planning on taking some pregnolone (a low dosw time -released if I can find it).

heapsreal

My DHEA has been low for 3 years unless I take 100mg a day, but I feel like too much is turning to estradiol. I'm planning on taking some pregnolone (a low dosw time -released if I can find it).

find a compound chemist and get a transdermal cream made up, 50mg/ml is what i use, then theres a product from life flow 15mg/ml http://www.iherb.com/Life-Flo-Health-Organic-Living-Pregnenolone-2-oz-57-g/15119?at=0 , my dhea was 2.1(2.2-15.5) and just shot my E2 up so will be interesting to see how preg effects my dhea, i definately feel better on preg then dhea

heapsreal

my dhea levels increased to7.5(2.2-15.5) on 50 mg dhea oral and E2 from147(39US) to 201(54US), the reference range i have for estrodiol is 40-250 but ideal is around 90(25US), i have heard E2 above 100 and obviously can go upto 250 and u will apparently feel like crap and at 250 i reckon you would grow little boobs, plus it makes it very hard to lose weight. I have since then been on arimidex 1/2mg twice a week to control E2 and it has gone down from 147 to 119, now on 1/2mg 3 times a week with the preg. I did use a dhea/preg combo and felt very agitated and crappy plus couldnt sleep.

cheers!!!