• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rotation diet - need input please

I found this abstract but I still would like to read a bit more about it. If anyone has more information about how to conduct a rotation diet or about the scientific background please feel free to post. Experiences are welcome of course.

http://www.parentsofallergicchildren.org/principl.htm

Three Principles of Diet Rotation

by Dr. Lieberman

No one food is repeated until the fifth day in a four-day rotation plan, i.e. if wheat is eaten Day 1, it is note eaten again until Day 5 (NOTE: Very sensitive individuals occasionally require seven-day rotation plans)

Food from the same botanical food family may be used on an every other day basis. A family of foods is based on their common biological origin, and therefore those foods share common antigens and may cause similar reactions when eaten. (For example, oats, rye, rice, wheat, etc. all belong to the cereal gain or grass family. You could choose to eat a different cereal grain once every other day, such as oats on Day 1 and wheat on Day 3, but the same cereal grain not again until the fifth day). To explore food families more take a look at the Food Family Chart.

No one food may be used twice in one day. (for example, if a wheat cereal is eaten in the morning, no wheat in any other form - bread, rolls or other baked goods, thickeners, flour, pasta, etc - should be eaten that day).

Of these principles, the first two are good guidelines for all to follow, even for those with a very limited selection of tolerated foods. The last principle is important for those who need to identify hidden food allergies, mange known food allergies, and prevent new food allergies from developing. Also, those with known moderate to severe food allergies do best by eliminating the worst offenders from their diet for 30 days, and then very cautiously re-introducing those foods in small amounts on a strictly rotated basis. Often tolerance for the food(s) will have been regained. (NOTE: Any food which has provoked a life-threatening reaction in the past should NOT be reintroduced except on the advice of your physician).

A rotation diet is NOT overwhelming when eased into gradually. Begin with the most easily rotated category of foods, the proteins, by appropriately rotating beef, chicken, fish, dairy products (if tolerated), eggs, etc., according to the three principles above. Depending upon your own area of sensitivity, then choose another category, such as vegetables, or fruits, to appropriately rotate. the grain category/family is one which definitely needs to be rotated, as those with allergies very often show sensitivity to one or more of these grains.

Baked goods and cereals from many different grains and grain alternatives are now available at the health food store and even large supermarkets (check labels). Choose from and appropriately rotate wheat, barley, rye, rice, amaranth, quinoa, teff, and many others.

As you continue to routinely rotate foods, each food will have a full four days to clear the system before being eaten again. In so doing, you may "unmask" hidden food allergies so that you can actually objectively see what chronic allergic symptoms are provoked by that food. A food diary can help you track and link symptoms pertaining to each food. Once you've identified an allergenic food, you should avoid it for 30 days and try carefully re-introducing it again on a strictly rotated basis. Often, tolerance is regained by this short period of avoidance, provided you continue to eat the food not more frequently than once every four days, or even less often with your severely allergenic foods.

dancer

A year and a half ago, I saw an immunologist who put me on a rotation diet to give my system a chance to calm. He uncovered new food intolerances or allergies (that had developed since my mono and CFS began), but as you wrote above, he explained that if I just replaced all my wheat products with rice products (as one example)- eventually my body might develop an allergy to rice...just swapping one problem for another.

The rotation diet was VERY challenging. My hubby helped me, and we literally had a separate shelf for each day's food. After three months of rigorously following it, when I had my follow-up appointment I asked, "If my CFS if largely caused by allergy response, what improvement would you expect to see by now?" I had a bit of improvement in digestive issues but NO improvement in fatigue and pain ... and my limited energy had to ALL go toward food planning and prep. He said that if the allergies were a major factor in the illness, there should have been huge improvement by then. So for me, it wasn't an answer.

I continue to eat g-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, preservative-free...etc. (It helps my digestive system a bit) and I continue to work for a type of rotation - including VARIETY (quinoa for breakfast one morning, rice cakes the next, etc.) but it seemed that in my case the food intolerance issue was only a small secondary part of this illness. Addressing it didn't help much.

Hope that helps!

A year and a half ago, I saw an immunologist who put me on a rotation diet to give my system a chance to calm. He uncovered new food intolerances or allergies (that had developed since my mono and CFS began), but as you wrote above, he explained that if I just replaced all my wheat products with rice products (as one example)- eventually my body might develop an allergy to rice...just swapping one problem for another.

The rotation diet was VERY challenging. My hubby helped me, and we literally had a separate shelf for each day's food. After three months of rigorously following it, when I had my follow-up appointment I asked, "If my CFS if largely caused by allergy response, what improvement would you expect to see by now?" I had a bit of improvement in digestive issues but NO improvement in fatigue and pain ... and my limited energy had to ALL go toward food planning and prep. He said that if the allergies were a major factor in the illness, there should have been huge improvement by then. So for me, it wasn't an answer.

I continue to eat g-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, preservative-free...etc. (It helps my digestive system a bit) and I continue to work for a type of rotation - including VARIETY (quinoa for breakfast one morning, rice cakes the next, etc.) but it seemed that in my case the food intolerance issue was only a small secondary part of this illness. Addressing it didn't help much.

Hope that helps!

Did you have many food intolerances before the rotation diet?

*GG*

Hope that helps!

I think LDN helped my digestion, and of course on days that i do not work, my digestive issues are much better!

FYI My ME/CFS also started with Mono.

GG

PS Did you have food allergy testing done by Alltess?

tHE alt ROTATIONAL DIET IS OUR bIBLE AND HELPS WITH OUR SYMPTOMS...WE DO 4-6 MONTHS ON AND 2-4 MONTHS OFF......THIS IMPROVED OUR HEALTH BY 15%+! i CAN SCAN THE DIET AND SEND IT BY FLASH DRIVE IFYOU WANT IT...IT IS A pHYSFCIANSNCOPY.....