• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ron Davis Research and Theories

Swim15

Not sure if there’s a thread on this already but after looking at this research I think it’s pretty clear that most people trying to supplement nutrients, antioxidants, etc are attempting to fix something from the bottom up in an approach that will never work. Something I suspected before as oxidative stress and inflammatory markers are all symptoms and no causes.

So clearly we see a state of fucked up redox reactions and electrochemical gradients which is, so far, I think one of the only things I’ve seen that explains such global dysfunction on a cellular level.

One of my first thoughts, which I’m sure is too simple, is if anyone with CFS has gotten their blood pH checked since we see signs of acidosis with this condition. This could easily have an impact on EC gradients.

After that, I’m wondering if copper/ceruloplasmin/iron levels are abnormal for anyone? My copper and ceruloplasmin are abnormal and excess heme is associated with CFS as is some of the implication with the repair that SS-31 targets.

So far none of the approaches from anyone here, or others, over decades has worked in terms of supplementation so I’m trying to think outside the box and just thinking out loud.

Seems like the solution has to be something more reasonable than some things I’ve considered given that changing blood plasma resulted in normal cell function.

WantedAlive

anyone with CFS has gotten their blood pH checked

I had my blood gases done a few times, twice with venous measures and once with arterial. On both venous measures which were done on-site at the hospital (gases are very volatile and vulnerable to error), my measures indicated acute respiratory acidosis (pH 7.26, PCO2 68, HCO3 30), plotted on the blood gases graph here.
1595124426373.png

Following these tests, I had an arterial test done (I had to push for that!). It came back pretty normal, only PCO2 (48) marginally elevated. Literature states P(v-a)CO₂ more than 6mmHg occurs in decreased systemic blood flow, and as you can see the difference between my venous to arterial PCO2 was 20! I suspect this may be common in ME/CFS. It was only my venous (peripheral) pH that showed too acid. I'm not sure what a healthy venous pH would look be, I guess depends on activity at the time, but my arterial pH was normal.

Swim15

Thanks a lot for posting that up! I’m not surprised and thought this might be playing a big roll.

Respiratory acidosis is something I could see being a factor in causing the oxidative stress seen in CFS and also problems with cell functioning, RBC changes, and problems with redox reactions and potentially enzyme function.

Gonna keep looking at this and maybe get mine checked as well.

Treeman

Not sure if there’s a thread on this already but after looking at this research I think it’s pretty clear that most people trying to supplement nutrients, antioxidants, etc are attempting to fix something from the bottom up in an approach that will never work.

I think everyone is aware of this, but trying to treat the symptoms in the absences of knowing what causes the illness is the only thing most can done. But I and many others are desperate to have it solved and support all those trying.

bread.

I had my blood gases done a few times, twice with venous measures and once with arterial. On both venous measures which were done on-site at the hospital (gases are very volatile and vulnerable to error), my measures indicated acute respiratory acidosis (pH 7.26, PCO2 68, HCO3 30), plotted on the blood gases graph here.
View attachment 38313
Following these tests, I had an arterial test done (I had to push for that!). It came back pretty normal, only PCO2 (48) marginally elevated. Literature states P(v-a)CO₂ more than 6mmHg occurs in decreased systemic blood flow, and as you can see the difference between my venous to arterial PCO2 was 20! I suspect this may be common in ME/CFS. It was only my venous (peripheral) pH that showed too acid. I'm not sure what a healthy venous pH would look be, I guess depends on activity at the time, but my arterial pH was normal.

wtf i had the same thing!