• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Role of SEPN1 in myopathy and bioenergetics defect

gm286

The study was slightly challenging for me to read, but a connection is being made for the role of the SEPN1 gene + Selenoprotein N in regulating bioenergetics via endoplasmic reticulum (ER) - mitochondria contacts.

It's a recurring theme in ME/CFS and energy-related research lately, so I thought I'd include it.

This came from some tentative research I made into "rigid spine syndrome" / congenital muscular dystrophy with rigidity of the spine. Liabilities: I cannot say that I have had obvious problems with my a stiff / cracking spine as a child, nor necessarily with fatigue. Moreover, the SEPN1 gene does not show up in my own whole genome sequencing.

Nonetheless, I match very strongly with the symptoms for rigid spine syndrome (RSS) (which aside for the obvious symptom also include fatigue and pain) and so reading through the study, I felt validated in the link made between this SEPN1-related myopathy (RSS) and the bioenergetics defect. It seemed like on paper, this could explain my ME/CFS symptomology.

In case it it is useful, here is the study.

Last edited:
Back