• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rogue immune cells linked to leukemia are a key driver of autoimmune diseases Nov 28, 2022

keepontruckin

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/11/221128112926.htm

The team found that if these proteins are altered, they can cause rogue killer T cells to grow unchecked, resulting in enlarged cells that bypass immune checkpoints to attack the body's own cells.
The study also identified two specific receptor systems -- ways for cells to talk to one another -- that are linked to stress.
"Part of what's driving these rogue cells to expand as killer T cells is the stress-sensing pathways. There is a lot of correlation between stress, damage and ageing. Now we have tangible evidence of how that's connected to autoimmunity," Professor Goodnow says.

lenora

Interesting. I had a sister who had the worst type of leukemia. Another sister was able to be a bone marrow donor. Anyway, my sister died at a fairly early age.

Fast forward to now. The sister who was the donor now has the EXACT same type of leukemia herself and is in hospice. They were about 2 years apart in age....what are the chances? (I don't know.)

Lots of unanswered questions in the world of medicine. Little by little, we'll learn. Yours, Lenora