• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rna based antivirals

Learner1

I've been on TDF for a couple of months, substituting it for the valganciclovir I was on previously. No side effects .

The info I've seen says TAF is mist effective against EBV, with TDF second, then ganciclovir (valganciclovir was not tested). All were effective with the 2 tenofovirs more effective.

Hoosierfans

I've been on TDF for a couple of months, substituting it for the valganciclovir I was on previously. No side effects .

The info I've seen says TAF is mist effective against EBV, with TDF second, then ganciclovir (valganciclovir was not tested). All were effective with the 2 tenofovirs more effective.
Can you share what experiences are in the group you are in for folks that take these meds?

I’m wondering… are TAF / TDF effective against only replicating / lytic EBV or do we think they are effective against the “smouldering” viral reservoirs?

Learner1

Can you share what experiences are in the group you are in for folks that take these meds?

I’m wondering… are TAF / TDF effective against only replicating / lytic EBV or do we think they are effective against the “smouldering” viral reservoirs?
I don't know what other people's experiences are, unfortunately.

I don't think anyone fully knows what tenofovir is effective for. Wish I did.

NHS sexual health clinics prescribe TDF for HIV prevention to anyone who claims to have sex with multiple men.

I've been on Tenofovir (Truveda since it was easiest to get) and overall had a positive experience with it. No side effects and it quickly cleared up some very intense cold symptoms I was having. I was most likely having an episode of EBV reactivation, which for me usually lasts 2 weeks or more. My throat was sore, swollen tonsils, extreme daytime sleepiness & what felt like liver inflammation. I was lucky enough to get the truveda within a day and my symptoms cleared up in 3-4 days.

I kept taking the antiviral for 3-4 months to see if I would get any other benefits from it. It did give me more energy than I had before.

Prior to this experience I had been on Valtrex for 9 months.

ruben

I've been on Tenofovir (Truveda since it was easiest to get) and overall had a positive experience with it. No side effects and it quickly cleared up some very intense cold symptoms I was having. I was most likely having an episode of EBV reactivation, which for me usually lasts 2 weeks or more. My throat was sore, swollen tonsils, extreme daytime sleepiness & what felt like liver inflammation. I was lucky enough to get the truveda within a day and my symptoms cleared up in 3-4 days.

I kept taking the antiviral for 3-4 months to see if I would get any other benefits from it. It did give me more energy than I had before.

Prior to this experience I had been on Valtrex for 9 months.
When you say you had been on valtrex for 9 months, did you mean the Valtrex had given you no benefit?