• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rituximab: Is it worth a try?

Hello,

I am diagnosed with neuropathic POTS and SFN. Although I have various symptoms, the worst one is a crushing and unrelenting fatigue which never goes away. As a result of this disabling fatigue, I has been bed/couch-bound the last 2.5 years.

During this time, I have attempted numerous treatments but nothing seems to work for me. Having reached this point, my doctor considers that I should try Rituximab. However, leaving aside the potentially important side effects of Rituximab, I have serious doubts about this treatment for different reasons:

1) I have already attempted different immunotherapies with null results, including:

-IVIG (two cycles of 2g/kg over two months).
-Plasmapheresis: Five sessions.
-Cellcept: Three months.
-Pulse steroid therapy.

2) I feel that my lab data may not be very compelling for autoimmunity (which may explain why the treatments mentioned above did not have any effect on my symptoms):

-ANAs: Positive during the first two years of my illness. Titer 1:160 (speckled pattern). Currently negative.

-Positive GPCR aabs (CellTrend tests). Here there may be a potential problem, as a recent study finds no differences in GPCR aab concentrations between patients with POTS and healthy controls when using CellTrend tests (elisa).

https://ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.122.059971

-Positive FGFR-3 aabs.

-Borderline alpha3-AChR.

Despite these facts, my doctor considers that Rituximab is likely to be my last option to try to improve. Nevertheless, this is a difficult choice for me. On the one hand, I am really desperate to find a treatment that works. But, on the other hand, I do not want to finish in a worse situation (I have read here various examples of people whose lives were virtually destroyed by Rituximab).

What do you think? Do you consider that Rituximab may deserve a try in my situation? Or is it too risky?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

No evidence that rituximab is effective for MECFS.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30934066/

Yes, I know that Rituximab is not a one-size-fits-all treatment for ME/CFS. However, at the same time, there are also patients with a ME/CFS diagnosis who have obtained significant benefits from B cell depletion using Rituximab. Although obviously I am not an expert on this issue, I think that Rituximab may be useful in patients who have a known, proven history of autoimmunity.

In any case, I do not fulfill the ME/CFS criteria, since I do not experience PEM. Most importantly, according to my doctor, my POTS and SFN appear to be auotimmune driven. Nevertheless, as mentioned above, I have doubts on this point and I am not sure if I would be a good candidate for Rituximab.

Learner1

No evidence that rituximab is effective for MECFS.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30934066/
It is now well known that ME/CFS is not one single disease entity, but a common set of symptoms driven by a variety of factors. Therefore, there are a variety of treatments that may be applied with differing results amongst the variety of patients who share this label.
@Butydoc ,@Learner1, and @Gingergrrl might be able to answer this. They all have experience.
Yes, and our experiences differ.
Yes, I know that Rituximab is not a one-size-fits-all treatment for ME/CFS. However, at the same time, there are also patients with a ME/CFS diagnosis who have obtained significant benefits from B cell depletion using Rituximab. Although obviously I am not an expert on this issue, I think that Rituximab may be useful in patients who have a known, proven history of autoimmunity
This is correct.
In any case, I do not fulfill the ME/CFS criteria, since I do not experience PEM. Most importantly, according to my doctor, my POTS and SFN appear to be auotimmune driven. Nevertheless, as mentioned above, I have doubts on this point and I am not sure if I would be a good candidate for Rituximab
If autoimmunity is a driver for your situation, it may be worth a try. It greatly reduced my POTS. It is difficult to access and doctors may be hesitant to prescribe it in a COVID world, unfortunately.

Treeman

I have been couch/bedbounbd for 5 years. I tested positive for ANA and TPO autoantibodies. However they have now disappeared. Also have been making a very slowly recovery.

I recently have been dabbling with steroids and for the last 10 days have settled on 2.5mg a day with some noticeable improvements.

What dose and length of time did you try steroids?

I have been couch/bedbounbd for 5 years. I tested positive for ANA and TPO autoantibodies. However they have now disappeared. Also have been making a very slowly recovery.

I recently have been dabbling with steroids and for the last 10 days have settled on 2.5mg a day with some noticeable improvements.

What dose and length of time did you try steroids?

I took 15 mg of prednisone over ten days. In view of the null effect, I also received intravenous high doses of steroids during three consecutive days. But it did not work.

Gingergrrl

"Rituximab: Is it worth a try?"

I'm not sure how to answer this question because each person's situation is so unique. For me, the answer was 100% yes that it was worth it because it was the right treatment for me and led to my remission (in conjunction with IVIG). But in other cases, I would say that it would not be the right treatment.

I would say if someone has an autoimmune disease (or known B-cell autoantibodies that are pathogenic), and had zero active infections (and no history of hepatitis or TB), and was first a responder to high-dose IVIG, then Rituximab makes sense. It kills the B-cells which stops new autoantibodies from being grown at the production level which IVIG cannot do.

But in light of Covid, it is much more risky. So I would view it as a total cost/benefit risk analysis taking every factor into account. I hope that makes sense?!