• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rickettsia, bartonella, clostridium and coxiella

xlynx

I just spoke to my doctor and he told me I got the following bacteria infection:

Rickettsia, bartonella, clostridium and coxiella.

Does anyone know what antibiotics are normally prescribed for something like this, has anyone got a protocol that they've used to successfully to get rid of these bacteria. my doctor said is very difficult and he's looking into the issue.

Thanks Jerry

Jenny

I just spoke to my doctor and he told me I got the following bacteria infection:

Rickettsia, bartonella, clostridium and coxiella.

Does anyone know what antibiotics are normally prescribed for something like this, has anyone got a protocol that they've used to successfully to get rid of these bacteria. my doctor said is very difficult and he's looking into the issue.

Thanks Jerry

Hi Jerry

What tests did you have that showed these infections?

Bartonella is said to be a common co-infection of borrelia infection (Lyme disease). Various treatments have been suggested - if you look on one of the Lyme message boards (eg Eurolyme or Lymenet) there's discussion of treatments. Look at Burrescano's treatment guidelines (a file on Eurolyme) too.

I've been diagnosed with Lyme and babesia (another Lyme co-infection). I'm not convinced of the accuracy of the test I had though, and nearly 3 years of abx haven't helped.

I think rickettsia is a spirochete like borrelia - don't know about treatment though.

Jenny

shannah

If it's any help, I know that many of these are discussed over at lymenet.org. They have a pretty good search feature there.

Best of luck with it.

xlynx

Thank you,

I got these results from A CDSA a test, do you think I might have Lyme disease, what exactly as Lyme disease and how do you know that you have it. Also what do you mean by coinfection. Also what is abx?

thanks sorry to so many questions Jerry

Jenny

Thank you,

I got these results from A CDSA a test, do you think I might have Lyme disease, what exactly as Lyme disease and how do you know that you have it. Also what do you mean by coinfection. Also what is abx?

thanks sorry to so many questions Jerry

I didn't know that a CDSA test would show up bartonella - thought it was only diagnosed by blood test. Lyme is an infection with the sprirochete bacterium borrelia. It's thought to be spread mainly by tick bites, but some think insects like mosquitoes can spread it too. The NHS test in the UK is the Western blot, but many think this misses a lot of cases and people get tests from other countries. But there is much argument over testing!

Some so-called 'Lyme literate' doctors are prepared to treat after just a clinical diagnosis (ie no positive blood tests) as the tests are so unreliable.

(I worry that we'll see much of the same arguments over testing with XMRV!):Retro mad:

The symptoms of chronic Lyme are very similar to ME and some argue that a large proportion of people diagnosed with ME actually have Lyme. But again, this is hugely contentious!

A co-infection is just an infection that often goes along with another. So bartonella is often seen with borrelia, perhaps because the insect or whatever bit the person carries both diseases.

Sorry - abx = antibiotics.

There's a huge amount of literature and debate about borrelia, bartonella and their co-infections. Have a look at Eurolyme and Lymenet, also the Lyme message board on Pro-Health.

Where did you get your CDSA test done, can I ask?

Jenny

xlynx

Hi Jenny,

Well I am assuming that it is from the CDSA I did have alot of bloods taken at the same time and only briefly spoke to my doc on the phone today who said he will arrange anti-biotics for me on Monday but it was a brief call so I guess I will find more out then, I though I was talking to him about my CDSA results but it was 9am and the fog is pretty thick around then! The test is a recently updated test that was done at the Breakspear Hospital in Hemel. In case you where thinking about it I will confirm with you what gave me this diagnosis from the doc when I see him on Monday as I am a little confused myself at the moment.

Thank you for the information. many thanks Jerry

Jenny

Ah - I wondered if you were going to the Breakspear. I go there too. Sounds like we're seeing the same doc.

I had my test for Lyme and co-infections nearly 2 years ago and just get repeat prescriptions at the moment - what tests are they using now?

J