• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients, HLA-DRB1*04:01 and possible connection to mycobacteria infection

Violeta

In Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients, HLA-DRB1*04:01 and Rheumatoid Nodules Are Associated With ACPA to a Particular Fibrin Epitope
Guillaume Larid1,
June, 2021

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2021.692041/full#:~:text=all

It's the HLA-DRB1 part of this study that I am looking at.

I found it when I followed this information while looking into shingles because of post-herpetic pain. I also have been having intermittent fairly severe issues in my knees and leg muscles.

Anti–IFN-γ autoantibodies in adults with disseminated nontuberculous mycobacterial infections are associated with HLA-DRB1* 16: 02 and HLA-DQB1* 05: 02 and the reactivation of latent varicella-zoster virus infection. Blood. (2013) 121:1357–66. doi: 10.1182/blood-2012-08-452482

I have to think about this more, but do you think this could mean that a mycobacterial infection is the root cause of shingles activation?

Last edited:

Violeta

This is the study in which varicella zosters virus is mentioned with respect to anti-INFy autoantibodies and mycobacterium.

In conclusion, our data suggest that anti–IFN-γ autoantibodies may play a critical role in the pathogenesis of dNTM infections and reactivation of latent varicella-zoster virus infection and are associated with HLA-DRB1*16:02 and HLA-DQB1*05:02

Anti–IFN-γ autoantibodies in adults with disseminated nontuberculous mycobacterial infections are associated with HLA-DRB1*16:02 and HLA-DQB1*05:02 and the reactivation of latent varicella-zoster virus infection

Chih-Yu Chi, Chen-Chung Chu, et al

February, 2013

Violeta

Panax ginseng seems to be good for nontuberculous mycobacterium infections.

Case Report: Kampo Medicine for Non-tuberculous Mycobacterium Pulmonary Disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8601257/

One case of mycobacterium pneumonia:

Treated with: Hence, a bukuryoshigyakuto (Panax ginseng 1g, Aconiti tuber 1g, Glycyrrhizae radix 2g, Poria cocos 5g and Zingiber siccatum 2g) decoction (to infuse a total of 11 g of each herb with 400 ml of water for 30–40 min to make 200 ml, and to take in two divided doses) was started after a medical examination based on Kampo principles, while discontinuing the current treatment with clarithromycin, rifampicin and ethambutol.

A 77-year-old lean woman had been diagnosed with Mycobacterium intracellulare pulmonary infection 6 years earlier, and had received the standard multidrug treatment 5 years later at a former hospital due to worsening of her symptoms of cough, breathlessness and hemoptysis. However, the treatment was discontinued within a year due to the development of adverse events. She refused the guideline-based antibacterial treatment, and asked for Kampo medicine instead. Bukuryoshigyakuto was subsequently prescribed, which led to cough and sputum, especially hemosputum, being well controlled. With 3 years of Kampo medicine treatment, she gained weight and her hemosputum disappeared. High-resolution computed tomography images showed improvement in her lung condition, and her sputum smear culture was negative for acid-fast bacillus.