• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reverse Therapy

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Someone just wrote me an interesting post about his improvement using Reverse therapy. I hope he doesn't mind my posting what he wrote

I have been doing Reverse Therapy for the last six months and have found it rather successful. I've been diagnosed with POTS by both Harvard and Mayo Clinic, and CFS by Dr. Enlander in NYC. I see a lot of similarities in the AR, Reverse Therapy, and Neural techniques, especially in their emphasis on mind/body integration and resolving autonomic nervous system blockages and patterns that result in negative feedback loops...

If you have a chance, I encourage you to check it out and perhaps do an interview with John Eaton: www.reverse-therapy.com/

I was inspired to look into this approach after reading Anna Hemming's story (British gold medalist, fell ill for 2 years before returning to canooeing and winning a world title.) Her story in included in a recent book (50 CFS Recovery Stories.)

I realize the tremendous fear that any approach that even smells psychological will be detrimental politically for research funding. I share this fear, but I don't think these strands need be in opposition to each other. And I hope mind/body approaches will continue to redefine all aspects of medical practice.

Anyone tried Reverse therapy?

Jody

Cort,

I came across Reverse Therapy online a couple years ago. I don't pretend to understand it all but what I do understand has been quite helpful to me.

After reading this very different perspective (at least it was a very different perspective for me) I began to see my symptoms as ... well not friends, exactly, but no longer so much as enemies to be ignored and brushed aside).

There were reasons that my body (body mind) had for slowing down, for telling me to rest, for causing me to have to say "no" to people. There were reasons for me to start taking care of me instead of everybody else.

I don't think I know what all of body mind's reasons and goals were in slowing me down, but I have an idea about some of them and honestly? Body mind probably had a good idea in changing my directions. Could've done it in a slightly less spectacular way, if you ask me ... :rolleyes:

So. I began to at least consider the notion that it was good for me to slow down, that it was good for me to stop spreading myself so thin, being so accessible to too many people and too many things. I was too much of a people pleaser and wasn't good at saying no.

So body mind said no for me.

Interesting perspective indeed and from the little I know of it, definitely worth plumbing some depths.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Jody that's exactly what I did when I started the Amygdala Retraining program. It had me take a real look at my body (instead of trying to ignore it) and my mind and the various triggers that send my symptoms flying. Above all its had me slow down physically and mentally and emotionally. I'm slowly turning the spigot down - and it definitely helps.:)

Jody

It had me take a real look at my body (instead of trying to ignore it)

For me, that quote above, probably summed up things in 16 words or less. (Yes, I counted them. If I counted wrong, ... don't tell me.:))