• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reuters: Study isolates virus in chronic fatigue sufferers

Kati

Patient in training
http://www.canada.com/health/Study+isolates+virus+chronic+fatigue+sufferers/2085993/story.html

WASHINGTON - A virus linked to prostate cancer also appears to play a role in chronic fatigue syndrome, according to research that could lead to the first drug treatments for a mysterious disorder that affects 17 million people worldwide.

Researchers found the virus, known as XMRV, in the blood of 68 out of 101 chronic fatigue syndrome patients. The same virus showed up in only 8 of 218 healthy people, they reported on Thursday in the journal Science.

Judy Mikovits of the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Nevada and colleagues at the National Cancer Institute and the Cleveland Clinic emphasized that the finding only shows a link between the virus and chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS, and does not prove that the pathogen causes the disorder.

Much more study would be necessary to show a direct link, but Mikovits said the study offers hope that CFS sufferers might gain relief from a cocktail of drugs designed to fight AIDS, cancer and inflammation.

"You can imagine a number of combination therapies that could be quite effective and could at least be used in clinical trials right away," Mikovits said in a telephone interview.

She said AIDS drugs such as non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors and integrase inhibitors as well as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and cancer-fighting proteasome inhibitors could be tested as potential treatments for CFS.

Takeda Pharmaceutical Co Ltd. makes a cancer drug called Velcade that is a proteasome inhibitor, although there are no reports that it has been tested against XMRV.

CFS impairs the immune system and causes incapacitating fatigue, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sufferers can also experience memory loss, problems with concentration, joint and muscle pain, headaches, tender lymph nodes and sore throats.

Symptoms last at least six months and can be as disabling as multiple sclerosis or rheumatoid arthritis, the CDC said.

But Mikovits said there is currently no treatment for CFS aside from cognitive behavioral therapy to help patients cope with the disorder's crippling effects.

The XMRV virus is a retrovirus, like the HIV virus that causes AIDS. As with all viruses, a retrovirus copies its genetic code into the DNA of its host but uses RNA a working form of DNA instead of using DNA to do so.

Known formally as xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, XMRV has also been found in some prostate tumors and is also known to cause leukemia and tumors in animals.

Mikovits' team said further research must now determine whether XMRV directly causes CFS, is just a passenger virus in the suppressed immune systems of sufferers or a pathogen that acts in concert with other viruses that have been implicated in the disorder by previous research.

"Conceivably these viruses could be co-factors in pathogenesis, as is the case for HIV-mediated disease, where co-infecting pathogens play an important role," the report said.

Because 3.7 per cent of the healthy test population tested positive for XMRV, the researchers said several million otherwise healthy people in the United States could be infected with it.

New Information here... Anyone has access to Science?

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Researchers found the virus, known as XMRV, in the blood of 68 out of 101 chronic fatigue syndrome patients. The same virus showed up in only 8 of 218 healthy people, they reported on Thursday in the journal Science.

This doesn't appear to be new to me.

Kati

Patient in training
Scroll down they are talking about Velcade, an anti-cancer drug that could help us.

Drat.

Title should probably be edited, as it looks like this is not new. Briefly thrilling.

Kati

Patient in training
The Velcade information is new. And I believe Reuters getting involved is big, spreading information and preparing people for the next wave.

Oh - sorry. I thought you'd assumed this was new too.

The title does make it sound like a new study has isolated XMRV in CFS patients though.

cfs since 1998

Velcade isn't new, it was in the Oct 8th Reuters too, just forgotten about, and I don't think WPI or anyone ever explained why it was being looked at. But thanks for reminding us. Maybe the thread title should be "What ever happened to Velcade?"?

Andrew

If my memory and research is right, check this out.

a. Velcade is used to treat mantel cell lymphoma.
b. People with CFS show a higher rate of mantel cell lymphoma.

a. Proteasome inhibitors are drugs that block the action of proteasomes, cellular complexes that break down proteins, like the p53 protein.
b. I remember reading some place that CFS patients have compromised p53 protein. I just don't remember if it was a study or a theory. But this another connection.

Kati

Patient in training
Well done Andrew. If I may add it is not only given in mantle cell lymphoma but other types of cancer and also used in different clinical trials for all kinds of cancer. I am sure Dr Singh, Silverman, Ruscetti, Mikovits and Goff will put their brain together and put all these good drugs to good use for all of us.