• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Retrovirus gene sequence variations determine disease outcome

natasa778

posting this as there has been some discussion on the forum about xmrv infection and how it could be causing all these different diseases it has been linked to, like prostate cancer, cfs, ms... this just confirms another factor (apart from host genetic susceptibility and other host-dependent factors) and that is relatively small variations in retroviral sequences, as well as 'route of inoculation', determine disease outcome!

--------------------------

The outcome of feline leukemia virus (FeLV) infection in nature is variable, including malignant, proliferative, and degenerative disorders. The determinants of disease outcome are not well understood but are thought to include viral, host, and environmental factors. In particular, genetic variations in the FeLV long terminal repeat (LTR) and SU gene have been linked to disease outcome.... The results showed that the FeLV-945 LTR determined the kinetics of disease. ... substitution of both the FeLV-945 LTR and env gene changed the disease outcome entirely. Further, the impact of FeLV-945 env on the disease outcome was dependent on the route of inoculation. ... These findings identify the FeLV-945 LTR and SU gene as determinants of disease. http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/79/9/5278

btw feline leukemia virus is in the same family as xmrv...

anciendaze

Since the term xenotropic was applied because XMRV can no longer infect mice, I've been wondering if it might have passed through domestic cats, who have been known to eat mice on occasion. I'm told it is not as close to FeLV as MuLV, but that doesn't rule out XMRV infecting cats. Has anyone tested cats?

Resting

This is interesting. I know a person who has thyroid problems, lupus... and oddly enough so did her cat (who also had feline HIV). I too wonder if these viruses can be passed to us through a cat or other pet???