• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Retrovirus entry through blood brain barrier enhanced by bacterial toxins

natasa778

thought this might be relevant as bacterial toxins (translocation) are found in blood in both CFS and autism - probably as a result of the leaky gut....

Adsorptive endocytosis of HIV-1gp120 by blood-brain barrier is enhanced by lipopolysaccharide.

Previous work suggests that gp120 mediates the passage of HIV-1 and infected immune cells across the blood-brain barrier (BBB) by induction of adsorptive endocytosis (AE) in brain endothelial cells. Other work has suggested that cytokines may increase the permeability of the BBB to free virus or infected immune cells. Here, we investigated the ability of lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a bacterial wall toxin that stimulates the release of cytokines, to increase gp120 passage across the BBB by enhancement of AE and/or induction of BBB disruption. We found that LPS enhanced the passage of gp120 radioactively labeled with 125I (I-gp120) in a reversible, time-dependent, prostaglandin-independent manner that was not completely explained by disruption of the BBB. LPS also enhanced wheatgerm agglutinin mediated uptake of I-gp120 almost exclusively through the potentiation of AE. These results show that LPS or cytokines released by LPS can have a major effect on the permeability of the BBB to HIV-1gp120 both by stimulating AE and by inducing a disruption of the BBB. This suggests that bacterial infection or other inflammatory states could facilitate invasion of the CNS by HIV-1.
Banks WA, Kastin AJ, Brennan JM, Vallance KL. GRECC, Veterans Affairs Medical Center-St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, USA. Exp Neurol. 1999 Mar;156(1):165-71. PMID: 10192787

ramakentesh

I dont see how that automatically suggests that leaky gut ( a controversial issue ) automatically applies in this case. Chronic inflammation can occur for a variety of poorly understood reasons such as a failure of the inate immune system to downregulate post infection and this has a lot to do with the histocompatibility of the person.

floydguy

Leaky Gut

Do any traditional docs take "Leaky Gut" seriously? I feel this is an important issue and makes a lot of sense to me but not ONE traditional physician I've seen will even discuss it. They just scoff and call it an alt-doc issue. Why is this controversial? How do they explain gut issues? Or do they think they don't exist. Or just find it convenient to ignore this issue entirely?

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Putting aside gut issues, many of us have chronic (intracellular) bacterial infections which produce LPS and elevated cytokines. In that regards this paper is not good news. But it does explain how such infections could cause so much harm in someone infected with XMRV. I caught a bacterial infection a few years back and it totally destroyed my life. Now I'm beginning to understand how/why.

natasa778

I dont see how that automatically suggests that leaky gut ( a controversial issue ) automatically applies in this case.

It does not automatically apply, and this paper is not about that.

But intestinal hyperpermeability, aka leaky gut, is one of the reasons for bacterial translocation = presence of gastrointestinal bacterial toxins in the blood due to "leaks" in the gut linining.

Having hyperpermable gut lining (see another thread on this specifically) would lead to increased presence in the blood of intestinal bacterial toxins, as they leak through.... And their presence in the blood then in theory can contribute to breakdown of the blood brain barrier, as this paper suggests.

ramakentesh

intestinal hyperpermeability is found commonly in patients with Rheumatoid arthritis yet these patients rarely if ever experience cerebral or neurological symptoms. Many rheumatologists think that the increased intestinal permiability is caused By the autoimmune mediated response rather than as a consequence.
intestinal permiability issues have for years been touted by some as the cause of a whole range of health issues, however the science isnt just poor, in many cases it is non existent, hence the lack of interest by the majority of the medical profession.
All the abnormalities present in CFS and related disorders can be adequately explained by immuno deficiencies, chronic inflammatation and its vasoactive effects.
In HIV the patients cannot fight off common bacterial and viral infections - there isnt really conclusive evidence that the majority of CFS patients have the same type of immuno deficiency.

ramakentesh

The stomach lining is one of the strongest and most active areas of the inate immune system in the human body. The leaky gut theory as a cause of illness is highly questionable and certainly not established.

oerganix

Putting aside gut issues, many of us have chronic (intracellular) bacterial infections which produce LPS and elevated cytokines. In that regards this paper is not good news. But it does explain how such infections could cause so much harm in someone infected with XMRV. I caught a bacterial infection a few years back and it totally destroyed my life. Now I'm beginning to understand how/why.

This might also explain why the antibiotic protocols such as the Marshall Protocol and the Roadback have been so helpful to some, such as myself. The MP recognizes and addresses the elevated cytokines, or "cytokine cascade" of bacterial infection.

In that regard, I find this paper to be good news, in that we already have antibiotics that are safe and effective. Treating the bacterial infections first might help get us in better shape for more strenuous antiretroviral treatments.

As far as I know, I don't have any "gut issues" that my daily dose of yogurt doesn't take care of.

SunnyGal

This might also explain why the antibiotic protocols such as the Marshall Protocol and the Roadback have been so helpful to some, such as myself. The MP recognizes and addresses the elevated cytokines, or "cytokine cascade" of bacterial infection.

In that regard, I find this paper to be good news, in that we already have antibiotics that are safe and effective. Treating the bacterial infections first might help get us in better shape for more strenuous antiretroviral treatments.

As far as I know, I don't have any "gut issues" that my daily dose of yogurt doesn't take care of.

I went on the CAP (Combination Antibiotic Protocol) a number of years ago now and got severely worse from it. I clearly had a cytokine storm from too many antibiotics too fast and this may explain why I got so much worse. I had VERY severe cognitive issues while on CAP which I recovered from very slowly (with the help of better informed doctors).

Certain cytokines also activate XMRV, right? So, bacteria toxins can cause cytokines which can activate XMRV while at the same time having a negative effect on the permeability of the BBB.

Sunny