• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resveratrol Boosts Brain Blood Flow

Rosemary

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...5/27/resveratrol-boosts-brain-blood-flow.aspx

A new study shows that high doses of resveratrol may improve brain blood flow and could potentially boost brain health.

Resveratrol is a bioactive compound found in grapes and red wine. Interest in the compound began in 2003 when research showed that resveratrol was able to increase the lifespan of yeast cells.

NutraIngredients notes that:

Since then studies in nematode worms, fruit flies, fish, and mice have linked resveratrol to longer lives.

Other studies with only resveratrol have reported anti-cancer effects, anti-inflammatory effects, cardiovascular benefits, anti-diabetes potential, energy endurance enhancement, and protection against Alzheimers.

Effects of resveratrol on cerebral blood flow variables and cognitive performance in humans: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover investigation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20357044
Abstract
BACKGROUND: The many putative beneficial effects of the polyphenol resveratrol include an ability to bolster endogenous antioxidant defenses, modulate nitric oxide synthesis, and promote vasodilation, which thereby improves blood flow. Resveratrol may therefore modulate aspects of brain function in humans. OBJECTIVE: The current study assessed the effects of oral resveratrol on cognitive performance and localized cerebral blood flow variables in healthy human adults. DESIGN: In this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study, 22 healthy adults received placebo and 2 doses (250 and 500 mg) of trans-resveratrol in counterbalanced order on separate days. After a 45-min resting absorption period, the participants performed a selection of cognitive tasks that activate the frontal cortex for an additional 36 min. Cerebral blood flow and hemodynamics, as indexed by concentration changes in oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin, were assessed in the frontal cortex throughout the posttreatment period with the use of near-infrared spectroscopy. The presence of resveratrol and its conjugates in plasma was confirmed by HPLC after the same doses in a separate cohort (n = 9). RESULTS: Resveratrol administration resulted in dose-dependent increases in cerebral blood flow during task performance, as indexed by total concentrations of hemoglobin. There was also an increase in deoxyhemoglobin after both doses of resveratrol, which suggested enhanced oxygen extraction, that became apparent toward the end of the 45-min absorption phase and was sustained throughout task performance. Cognitive function was not affected. Resveratrol metabolites were present in plasma throughout the cognitive task period. CONCLUSION: These results showed that single doses of orally administered resveratrol can modulate cerebral blood flow variables.

xchocoholic

Hi Rosemary,

I took Resvinatrol (Resveratrol + other antioxidants) for awhile until they changed their packaging and it helped me quite a bit with brain function. When I first bought this supplement, the manufacturer said that each capsule needed to be in a sealed package and taken soon after opening the package. It's really late for me so I forgot what that's called ... but now they sell this supplement in a bottle so it couldn't possibly retain this level of freshness. I refuse to buy it now ...

Do you know of a good Resveratrol ? thanks ... X

ramakentesh

Interesting but since the cerebral blood flow deficits in CFS may be autonomically mediated it may not be overly helpful.

alex3619

Hi

This is interesting research. I am definitely interested in hearing more.

I do not know if it is linked for sure, but the original grape seed extract, pycnogenol, had the largest and most obvious immediate impact of anything of I have ever tried. Other grape seed extracts do not have this effect.

When I took the four capsules over a decade ago, I felt nothing for about five minutes. Then my stomach started to fizz - it felt like someone had put a tube into my stomach and was pumping soda water into it. This became more and more intense, almost painful, and spread out, up and down my body until it reached my feet, my hands, my head. This happened over something like half an hour. After the fizzing died down I felt really really good for some time.

This product is now very hard for me to buy (I haven't bought any in years), and expensive. I do try to eat grapes when they are in season, especially red grapes. I also wonder if this is why I really like red wine, but that probably has more to do with taste and I can't physically tolerate it. {-(

Bye
Alex

girlinthesnow

I crave raisins, the sort made from red or purple grapes but I haven't been able to find a source of information about their resveratrol content. Anyone have any idea about where to find this?

xchocoholic

I've found several things that have helped me with brain fog. Eliminating foods that I was intolerant of was the most important change I made. And then keeping my chronic hypoglycemia under control via the Paleo / low carb diet, treating for candida, getting EFAs via fish oil and other fats, and taking 2 Solgar essential aminos 3 times a day.

Gluten, and maybe other toxins, were causing me to have problems walking / ataxia. My legs would get heavy after only a few yards, then my right foot would start to drop. Then my vision would get out of focus and objects would dance when I tried to focus on them. And I would fall onto anyone or anything near me without realizing I was falling from time to time. This was why I had to use a motorized cart most of the time when I was running errands. And if I wasn't using one, it was because they were out of them at the time.

Like a dummy, I thought this was all just CFS/ME. And would explain all of this as muscle fatigue ...

All of these symptoms were gone after ONE year on the GFCF + diet. From the research I've seen this would be probably have been diagnosed as gluten ataxia. I failed the Rhomberg so ataxia was a given.

But I've met some who have been diagnosed with gluten ataxia who didn't recover despite being gluten free, so I wonder about the other toxins I removed. FWIW. I have one friend who's casein antibodies are just as high as her gluten. And now she's looking at how low some of her nutrient levels are ... Ultimately, I expect her to be diagnosed with leaky gut syndrome.

Rosemary

Hi xchocoholic, ramakentesh, alex3619 and girlinthesnow,

Thanks for your feedback and comments about this new study which shows that high doses of resveratrol may improve brain blood flow and could potentially boost brain health.

With regards to any relevance to CFS, for your interest I also wanted to add that I do remember that Dr Bell discussed his theory for low blood volume in CFS and he also stated that if you could normalize blood flow to the brain, then it may help resolve many symptoms in CFS

Further information can be found here in this blog about the XMRV Lecture given by Dr. David Bell

Dr Bell made some interesting comments about looking at low blood volume in CFS and he also discusss isoprostanes- chemicals which are released when the body is under oxidative stress

Comments made about Dr Bell's lecture

" One thing that i really found interesting was when he started about low blood volume in CFS (in response to a question from the audience). Dr. Bell was involved in studies that looked at the blood volume of CFS patients and he found that “eighty percent of [the] patients with CFS had either a low red blood cell mass, plasma volume, or both”. (This was also supported in an NIH study)

The audience member had his blood volume tested and he had 30% less blood volume than normal.

Dr. Bell’s theory for the low blood volume was that there might be systemic vasoconstriction. One idea he had that might cause this was the release of chemicals called isoprostanes that are released when the body is under oxidative stress.

He also stated that if you could normalize blood flow to the brain, then it may help resolve many symptoms. But there were no good treatments to restore blood volume at this time."

http://www.chronicfatiguetreatments.com/wordpress/treatments/xmrv-dr-david-bell/?subscribe=true

natasa778

I believe that Cheney hinted at another theory of why blood volume is reduced - it might be linked to heart diastolic dys/function in CFS, reduced blood volume being a sort of self-defence mechanism of the struggling heart (ie it is heaving trouble pumping the blood out, so less volume would mean less stress to heart...)

I didn't write this down so my memory here could be wrong....

S

sunlady

Hi Natasa,

I too remember reading about Cheney's work, it was recently on a thread here.
The problem is diastolic dys/function in ME/CFS, and something I suffer from, my worst BP being 65/40.
I "died" during a laperoscopy, my BP plummeted, and I was informed by the consultant that I must always explain what happened to me and in any future operation, have a consultant anaesthetist present.
But, hey people, it's all in our heads, isn't it?

TheMoonIsBlue

I know this is an old post but I thought I'd just add on to it.

I was thinking of trying Resveratrol but read it is "estrogenic". But then it says it can either be an estrogen agonist or antagonist. (???)

Has this been a problem for any women out there? I already have estrogen dominance.

Enid

Interesting one Rosemary - when I was able to tolerate alcohol again I found some benefit from red (only) wine with dinner - can't put a finger on it but felt more rested and "better" the next morning. The particular compounds seemed to aid unlike say white wine or spirits which I'm still unable to tolerate.

Wayne

This product is now very hard for me to buy (I haven't bought any in years), and expensive.

Hey @Alex, very interesting experience you had with resveratrol (if that's what you reacted to). Thought I'd make a quick mention that I'm doing a fair amount of research on Japanese Knotweed. Its roots are apparently the main source for resveratrol supplements. I've noticed it's listed on these supplements as "Polygonum cuspidatum".

Re: the expense... This plant (which Stephen Buhner regards as his #1 supplement for Lyme), apparently grows all over the US, and is considered an invasive species "pest". But for anybody who has an interest in low-cost resveratrol, it's could be a real money saver. --- I'm currently on the trail to find some (in abundance) in my area.

Last edited:

alex3619

I have been considering trialing higher dose resveratrol. My comment on expense was for pycnogenol, a different compound. Resveratrol alters the intracellular messenging balance from Ca++ dominance to cAMP dominance. I have been cautious because its a blunt instrument, it alters everything. However I am currently in a decline, and looking for something to pull me out. I still can't get hold of many supps for logistical reasons, but I am working on this.