• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Respiration Rate as indicator of health problems

Andrew

I was reading this article and apparently respiration rate should be part of an evaluation of patient health because a high reparation rate can be indicative or problems, even beyond the respiratory system.

The article also makes mention of pulse-oximeters, how many medical people don't understand their limitations. This was interesting for me to read, in light of the fact that I have COPD and monitor myself with one.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2008/188/11/respiratory-rate-neglected-vital-sign#16

valentinelynx

A high respiratory rate is a sign of pain. During anesthesia, we monitor respiratory rate as a indicator of the patient's pain and adjust the anesthetic accordingly. Yes, the body can feel and respond to pain when you are unconscious.