• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resistant Starch--discussion of benefits/adverse effects only

Ripley

I'm intrigued because I took Primal Defense this morning (I rotate a bit haphazardly) with yogurt and cherries, and got mild brain fog.

Or is the easiest test to stop using Primal Defense for a while, while resuming PS?

I can't give you medical advice (I'm not qualified). But, all I can tell you that for me, I found it best to not take Primal Defense Ultra anymore because it gives me brain fog. I still take RS however and feel great as long as I don't take Primal Defense Ultra. I personally tolerate Prescript Assist very well.

Sidereal

Primal Defense Ultra is loaded with lactobacillus strains. It's the last thing you wanna take if you have lactate issues like many of us with ME/CFS (and other diseases including anxiety disorders) have. Of the recommended paleo probiotics, I have found Prescript Assist and AOR 3 to be surprisingly well tolerated and beneficial for IBS.

Aileen

I am still so confused! Still having trouble trying to figure out what to try and what to avoid.

I am feeling like the Align (B. infantis) is proving helpful. So is the prebiotic FiberAid (LAG). Those I believe are key for me.

S. boulardii was seemingly well tolerated except for increasing the constipation. No surprise there as it is a remedy for the opposite problem. Mutaflor also seemed to be in the ok category. Whether it was doing anything, I'm not sure. I was taking the pill form.

Prescript-Assist is the only SBO I've tried. Both times I took it I got a horrible migraine. Not sure whether that means I should stop completely or if it is just too strong and I need to wait until other remedies improve things.

In the past couple days, I added Organic Kefir. Not the do-it-yourself type. A bottled version from the local health food store. This brand is made on a farm in Ontario that does everything from milking the cow to putting the finished product on a truck. www.pinehedge.com

It is definitely powerful stuff. I have been taking 3tbsp each day, with some fresh strawberries mixed in to improve the flavour. The first 2 days felt awful but feeling better today. I'm not sure when to take it though.

Is it okay to take it at the same time as the LAG, or would some of the enzymes in the Kefir eat my prebiotic (LAG)? Obviously that is not what I want!

I'd like to take another prebiotic but there is so much conflicting info I don't know whether to try FOS or inulin or not. If anyone has done a lot of research on either and can run down the pros and cons, I'd appreciate it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Oops, @Valentijn, I just realised I posted this on the wrong thread - mistook this for the main RS thread. I'll repost over there and delete my message here.

Last edited:

BadBadBear

Hey everyone,
per Sushi's suggestion, I wanted to start a new thread for reports about resistant starch treatments. I would love to see how people are doing, how long they have been trying it, etc.
Thanks
Liz

Hi Liz,

I have been taking it for about 2 weeks. 2 TBSP, 1 in the AM, 1 in the PM, mixed with either a bit of yogurt or kefir. I am also trying to eat lots of low sulfur veggies & some cold rice daily to feed my biome.

My gut is doing a lot better - I have IBS-C and I have been functioning normally since I started it. Before I started it I was having a lot of bloating, water retention, gut inflammation, and peristalsis. It's a huge blessing to have the GI tract feeling better for a couple of weeks.

I don't notice any other symptoms improving, unfortunately. Could almost cut my brainfog with a knife today.

It does cause vivid strange dreams for me. I don't notice improved restful sleep.

I don't take probiotics other than cultured dairy.

ETA: I have been reading the other big RS thread and realize that my swollen glands, fatigue, brain-fog, and sore throat are possibly from RS, as well I had one blister in my upper palate (unusual for me). I am going to decrease to 2 tsp. per day for a while until symptoms clear up, and then will try going back up.

Last edited:

maddietod

I liked the results of 4T potato starch daily. My teeth got whiter and bowel movements were very regular. Appetite control was also easy.

But I'm allergic to potato, and over time I got arthritis from the PS. I tried the citric acid wash, and even with extra rinsing, I got bloody stools. I also don't digest bananas well, green or not.

Since I started working with RS and probiotics, my brain fog is less and my memory has improved. I've kept my RS intake relatively high with cooked/cooled parboiled rice and lentils.

Reading through this thread, I think I should have given LAG a go before PS...

I did not cope at all well with the latter - basically lived in the bathroom. That was on 1tsp as well.

I love my potatoes, and tolerate them well, so was surprised to get such a reaction from PS.

ahmo

@Mogwai I've been using LAG for a few weeks. I was unable to continue w/ any of my other choices due to inflammatory properties. I can't say that I experience any + or - effects. However, I self-test for all my supps using a method that allows my body to express 'enthusiastic' responses.:D I get repeated assurances that body really likes this stuff. I started w/ the Swanson 500mg caps, since I was ordering another product from them. Initially I took 2, but body asked for 4, which is what I've been dosing. When these run out, I'll shop around.

@Mogwai I've been using LAG for a few weeks. I was unable to continue w/ any of my other choices due to inflammatory properties. I can't say that I experience any + or - effects. However, I self-test for all my supps using a method that allows my body to express 'enthusiastic' responses.:D I get repeated assurances that body really likes this stuff. I started w/ the Swanson 500mg caps, since I was ordering another product from them. Initially I took 2, but body asked for 4, which is what I've been dosing. When these run out, I'll shop around.

Thanks for your input.

I bought the Thorne LAG when I bought the PS from iherb. Damn expensive stuff - but shipping from iherb is so fast and cheap, I thought I'd chuck it in with my usual bulk lot to give it a crack.

I think I'll start at 1.5g. When is the best time of the day to take it? Do you take it with food? Thanks.

ahmo

Something remarkable has happened, and I think it has to be the addition of LAG. I started about mid-July, w/ my probiotics. I'm unable to use fermented food, nor other forms of RS. It seems that in this 6-8 week period something has indeed shifted. For some days now I've needed less potassium, aminos, butyrate, ox bile....and I've been feeling brighter. wow.:jaw-drop: Frankly, I'm gobsmacked! Less potassium???!!! And even a few times I've self-tested for no probiotics that day. I'm really amazed.

W/ my histamine issues, I've settled on 3 probiotics which I've been alternating for some months. I'm using Prescript Assist, Orthomolecular Products Ortho Biotic, and Nature's Way Reuteri pearls.

I have to add that I've also started low dose naltrexone during this period, so there could well be some dual effects. Whatever it is, feeling better and using less supps...
bouncy-953.gif

ahmo

I've been using one of the 2 Swanson products. They seem pretty similar, I stared at the labels a long time. There was a special on, so I went with this one. I'm using 4 caps/day, (2gm total) taken w/ my probiotic and some mineral supps a couple hours after evening meal.I used to take them early AM or midday, but body is now signalling this as preferred time. Next I'm going to try the Source Naturals tab, 2g/tablet. I see today that Swanson's is also selling the Source Naturals product.
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-larch-tree-arabinogalactan-500-mg-90-caps
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=larch

Aileen

I've been using the other Swanson's product (FiberAid). I just ordered some of the other one (ResistAid) that you have been using. Now I'm really anxious for my order to get here!

ahmo

Addition to my post of yesterday: I began the new Source Naturals LAG last night. Body prefers it to the Swansons. That's my body, don't know how it will compare for anyone else, and haven't done a careful look at the labels to understand differences.

Gondwanaland

Paul Jaminet based on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8566598/:
Basically, RS-2 found in raw potato starch (or corn starch) is associated with higher incidence of colorectal cancer while RS-3 found in cooked then cooled starches is associated with lower rates of colorectal cancer. So, eat cooked then cooled starches, not raw potato starch.

I had been building up with potato starch for the past 3 weeks, but now I am just confused :confused:

izzy

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Paul Jaminet based on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8566598/:

I had been building up with potato starch for the past 3 weeks, but now I am just confused :confused:

izzy

I think it would be good to repost that on the main thread about resistant starch because this thread is meant to be just to report our individual responses to it - would you like to repost it there? I think it will get more discussion and it's an important point.