• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research on valtrex and side effects?

xrayspex

Does anyone have any links or info to research or science explaining side effects from valtrex? My doctor agreed to let me experiment with it but i couldnt tolerate it daily, thought I was dying (ok not literally but felt couldn't breathe! after 6 days) and this summer got idea to pulse it, that goes better but still a lot of pain. My mainstream doc scoffs at the "die off" notion so I assume there isn't anything in the med literature to explain that phenomena? If there is I want to take it to him to discuss why I hurt so much more when I take it, and thts just on half a tablet every other day-----but ow! pain in neck and spine and shoulders bad, varying headache, what is that? could that just be from my detox problem or could it be "die off"? and scientifically can that be explained to a mainstream doc?
(sorry if this is in wrong section but I wanted to make sure the research focused people here see this)

muffin

Glad you asked this question

I have been on Valtrex for about 3 or so months. Right now I feel like I have some odd virus and can't figure out if I do in fact have a virus or if it is the Valtrex creating side-effects or there is a die-off effect going on and that's what's making me feel so sick and "odd".

Was going to go lay down but saw this and figured I wanted to hear what others said as well. I wasn't having problems with Valtrex except when I went for 2 weeks between refills and then had to go through some weird symptoms unti it passed and then I seemed to be OK. But now something has gotten a hold of me and I can't tease out real virus from Valtrex (side-effects or kill-off).

So, ideas, thoughts, documents, anyone? Thanks - Nap time.

You know about the original herx back with penicillin and syphillis??? In case not, that was when the doc first noticed it. Back in the 1940's.
So, your doc scoffs? Must be a newbie ;) It's named after the doc who discovered it. This is going to test the memory bank..Jacob Herximienter.
Don't think that is right but might get you somewhere on a google.

xrayspex

spacee right
yes that was herxheimer, herxheimer-jarisch reaction (H-J i will say) I wasnt sure it was officially accepted but seems to be in lit

so did a search today on PUBMED and there are a fair no. of papers about herxing with antibiotics but I could not find any with anti-virals! I approached it from a bunch of angles. In doing that came across some other studies, one was about syphilitic hepatitis being overlooked and worsened from herxheimer, literally the labs look worse, which was interesting to me as I didnt know herx could be dangerous, just thought you feel bad (PMD 10364050) . Interesting one where herx involved "worsened mri findings during period of early treatment w/penicillin in patient w/general paresis " pmd 18302644. "liver toxicity resultign from syphilis and jarishherxheimer in cases of coinfection w/hiv and hepatitis c" but I couldnt find the details of what caused the herx, can try to order it pmd15791529.

something i noticed that irritated me, it seemed like there were more studies upto the 80's about viral stuff related to things like ms and also with using IVIG and then it drops off in 90s! where these kind of studies continued if at all was usually overseas. HMMMMMMMMMM.There was more about lymes and neuro issues (ie peripheral nerve disorders) related upto 80s,but I didnt specifically search for lymes it just came up in course of my search as side issue, so maybe there is more.

Also I could find issues related to antivirals when I searched "side effects" rather than "herxheimer reaction". valacyclivor can induce mania and psychosis in otherwise previously mentally healthy people '09 psychiatry study upstate ny, pmd 19567772.
-valacyclivor neurotoxicity (VAN) review of the lit 'o9 in japan, neuropscyh effects "rare" but do happen; pmd 19187258.

my impression, is sadly herx hasnt been studied with antivirals per se. Why not? or do they just assume its unwanted side effects if you feel bad or get worse and attribute it to that rather than H-J?

whats up with this? any thoughts, any better luck w/research from others?

xrayspex

I just reread hillary johnsons report at her site on corruption at cdc and realized the drop off on certain studies relating to viral stuff coincides with the time that the cdc was diverting funds from research meant for cfs. didnt the congressional inquiry in 96 help anything? maybe not cus Reeves got to stay in power.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I cant really explain the reaction your having, but having used antivirals i havent had any side effects but have found them extremely helpful. As for a die off reaction, i dont think antivirals actually kill the virus, how there suppose to work is by stopping the virus replicating, maybe this reduces the viral load enough for your own immune system to kill the virus off. I do get a die off reaction from doxycycline a antibiotic and its suppose to stop bacterial replication not kill bacteria directly. Theres definately something going on with our immune system in some of us with these meds, so its not just u but a common occurance in cfs.

cheers!!!!

xrayspex

thanks heapsreal.
you know with the pulsing of valtrex, if I wait for the increased symptoms (its like a pain flare of my cfs the valtrex buildup) to die down I do feel increased energy from the valtrex and less oxygen hunger. taking valtrex "too much", for me anyway, makes me feel the way friend with babesia describes with the body pain or maybe its like fibromyalgia pain. Usually my chronic pain is mostly specific to neck and shoulders but with valtrex even back of my thighs were hurting and arms.