• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Requesting assistance with interpreting 23andme results

Where should I start? I am 25 y/o, and have lost ~60% of my hair since June of 2012. Theories:

Low Ferritin?
  • After aggressive supplementation, my ferritin has been 70-80 with continued supplementation of 100mg of elemental iron/day but my hair loss has not stopped.
  • My MCV has remained high while my reticulocyte count remains below range, despite the increased ferritin level.
  • I believe that the high MCV is not associated with iron deficiency. I also had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, which showed stomach ulcers.
B-12 and folate?
  • My b12 is always slightly high (out of range), with low Methylmalonic Acid levels (below range) and my folate levels are 19.4 (>3=normal range).
Thyroid?
  • When my ferritin was low, my TSH was typically at around 2.45 (midrange FT3 and FT4), so my physician recommended iron supplementation to increase ferritin, thereby possibly helping with my thyroid. Now when my ferritin is higher, my TSH is higher (3.4) and my FT3 and FT4 are slightly lower than midrange-- which doesn't make much sense. And my MCV is still slightly elevated. And I keep gaining weight despite eating 1400 calories a day now to try to prevent weight gain (at 2.45, I was eating 1800 a day and not gaining weight; I was 122 but now am 135).

No one can figure out what's wrong. My naturopath recommended a genetic test, which resulted in the following according to geneticgenie:

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR Taq
MAO-A R297R
BHMT-08

Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
MTRR A66G
BHMT-02
CBS C699T
CBS A360A

Lastly, I am not positive for MTHFR, and I have stomach ulcers which were diagnosed by endoscopy (negative for H pylori; cause unknown).

This is my last chance to try to figure what's wrong--I don't know where else to look. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back