• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

remission?

helen41

I am starting to suspect I am a person who had a lengthy remission from ME/CFS. I suddenly became ill 12 years ago. When I went back and re-read the neuro consults, my previously solid sleep became broken, my thoughts were slowed and confused, I had poor balance, I was light sensitive, and extremely fatigued with no stamina. My MRI showed a few tiny lesions, but not MS. I was housebound for 3 months, then managed to return to my part time work, but I remember despite telling everyone I was feeling fine, I used to go to my car 2 or 3 times a day for months to nap just so I could manage. The diagnosis at that time was probable viral encephalitis.

I never completely regained what I lost in that episode, either intellectually or physically. I stopped doing the NY Times puzzle because I suddenly couldn't do it anymore. I did manage to take courses and did well, but it took more work than in the past. I always paced myself and avoided exercise, simply because it was the best way to manage. I believed it was related to damage from encephalitis. It wasn't obvious (I cover well) but I knew there were impairments.

In 2009 I had a series of illnesses (anemia, shingles, cellulitis, and abdominal surgery). Throughout all that time my primary complaint was fatigue. I suspect those illnesses made me susceptible to a resurgence of a latent virus, or maybe the virus exploded and made me susceptible to the illnesses- (any thoughts?). Each of those illnesses were treated and resolved but I didn't get better. I stayed exhausted, had broken sleep again, developed myalgia and figured out that I have PEM, not just weakness. (I have no idea if I've had it for years or not, but it certainly was not a huge barrier in my life). My MRI now shows numerous tiny lesions but again not indicative of MS. I have all the classic signs of ME/CFS now and I'm spending a lot of time trying to learn the best way to manage it.

I haven't read histories like this. Does this seem like a reasonable theory or does it seem more likely I simply had 2 illnesses? I wish I could go back a few years and compare blood samples! Thankyou in advance for any thoughts on this.