• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

REMISSION! (suspected enterovirus, Dr. Chia treating)

Treated by Dr. Chia for the last 18 moths.
Suspected cause: enterovirus infection

I'm exercising again and running in the around 40 mile per week range, but could handle 50 if my schedule allowed in the next few weeks. I also went from being super slow to just slow - which excites me lol.

the other crazy things that have happened is that my insomnia is almost gone (that happened last year) and ....

my raynaud's went away.... which is totally crazy.

I am now currently just on equilbrant 2x day. I see the doc again in april. Maybe we will be done with that too by then.

cb2

This is amazing and Congratulations Jim! I am happy for you. wow I can' t even imagine exercising and running. Fantastic! please feel free to share more if you feel inclined.

bread.

I'm exercising again and running in the around 40 mile per week range, but could handle 50 if my schedule allowed in the next few weeks. I also went from being super slow to just slow - which excites me lol.

the other crazy things that have happened is that my insomnia is almost gone (that happened last year) and ....

I am now currently just on equilbrant 2x day. I see the doc again in april. Maybe we will be done with that too by then.

congratulations!

how severe have you been?

junkcrap50

Trusting the doctor who has the most research and insight into the disease.

Seriously? You're not going to share any details? Not all of us have the opportunity to visit and trust "the doctor with the most research and insight into the disease."

Could you share more about your CFS story? How you got it? How long you've had it? Treatments you've tried that failed? And what treatments worked & helped put you into remission?

Seriously? You're not going to share any details? Not all of us have the opportunity to visit and trust "the doctor with the most research and insight into the disease."

You know, guys, There isn't any secret cure and I didn't do anything different than his other patients. I am a lucky minority that has remission following Dr. Chia's instructions which primarly were:
No more exercise
Equilibrium.
An antibiotic he put me on for a week. "one two punch"
LDN, but I stopped taking it after a few months because I didn't feel like dealing with it. -- but maybe that was long enough.
and a few other non-notable random things.

By the way, I have not lost any weight. I gained about 35 lbs since the onset of CFS. I'm excercising again -- running almost every day, but haven't lost any weight. not one pound. Though everyone says I look much healthier than when I was thin. Lol.

Hey .jm. I'm also a Dr. Chia patient just a few questions:

1) What enterovirus infection show up on your blood test? (Coxsackie B3, B4, etc)

2) Did you try the HIV drugs? Tenofivir and Lamuidvine?

3) Did you take oxymatrine consistently for 18 months?

4) What was the max amount of oxymatrine you took a day?

Thank you and congrats! : )

besides for breaking my foot in November and needing to take some time off and biking, I'm runing most days.

though it does seem that I need a lot of sleep.

besides for breaking my foot in November and needing to take some time off and biking, I'm runing most days.

Sorry to hear about your foot, but seems you're already recovered (a bit) since you're jogging, so that's good news.

I'm wondering, how did you do the first few days after starting Oxymatrin? I'm on Equilibrant for 3 days now and a day after I started taking it, I noticed flue like symptoms (i.e., sore throat, muscle aches, running nose, cough, chills, etc), without elevated temperature... Would you say, based on your experience, that this is a 'normal' or expected reaction after only a day?

Last edited:

perrier

How long were you sick before the treatment? And how ill were you? Housebound? Bedbound? We are all looking for answers; this disease is a living hell. Thanks.

Update. Still in remission. I have been back to running 70+ miles per week since January -- and I'm starting to think about starting a marathon training season again with the end goal of making an olympic trials qualifying attempt by next year.

The last thing I changed prior to upgrading my fitness was eliminating sugar from by diet. And I mean eliminating. Sugar is in everything. It is very hard to get out of your diet. (By sugar I specifically mean sucrose and fructose). I also switched to one meal a day with minimal grains. And finally, dramatically increased my salt intake.

Note that decreased salt intake is correlated with chronic fatigue. It would be generally benificial for anyone with crontic fatigue to increase his or her salt intake (with the exception of those with medical reasons preventin increasing salt intake -- which should be far and few between). Human dietary salt requirements are much higher than the FDA and common belief would lead you to believe.

Hey .jm. I'm also a Dr. Chia patient just a few questions:

1) What enterovirus infection show up on your blood test? (Coxsackie B3, B4, etc)

2) Did you try the HIV drugs? Tenofivir and Lamuidvine?

3) Did you take oxymatrine consistently for 18 months?

4) What was the max amount of oxymatrine you took a day?

Thank you and congrats! : )

1) Nothing. and I was tested for anything and everything -- well beyond Dr. Chia's standard pre-visit test list.
By process of elimination and patient history, Dr. Chia decided that enterovirus fits my history. It is not Coxsackie, nor is it one of the few enteroviruses that can be tested for.
2) nope.
3) I've been on Equilibrant since I first saw Dr. Chia (March 2018).
4) I can't remember if the max dose was 4 equilibrant pills per day or 6 per day. -- I just can't remember but it my be in my paperwork somewhere. I currently take 2 per day (unless I forget, which I do often). I haven't been to California in over a year and so I haven't seen the Doc in over a year. When I next see him, I can't wait to see what he does for my long management of remission. I suspect he'll take me off of equilibrant.

Last edited: