• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reminder about exercising when you think your recovered

Davsey27

This past saturday I went to a 24 hr fitness.And played a 3 person game of 21 on and off for about 10 mins
I wasn't going full speed most of the time but definitely got hr up.I did this with a mask on.Its close to 48hrs and still recovering

Sometimes we are tempted and it seems to be a reminder to self not to get overambitious

I hope others can learn from this as well

Rufous McKinney

My daughter, during her recent visit, would periodically argue that the Whatever I had Done that then later lead to- a crash- was somehow worth it.

Sometimes maybe it is. Mostly and often- its kind of not.

Feel better soon!

Wishful

I've done lots of activities that I knew would trigger PEM, and they either had to be done or they were worth the later lousiness. Sometimes the day is just too perfect for a long walk or ride. However, I've never crashed, so I knew the cost would just be a day of feeling lousier. If you think you might crash, be more cautious.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Sometimes we are tempted and it seems to be a reminder to self not to get overambitious
This is one of the hardest things, to hold ourselves back when we're feeling good (or, as @Wishful pointed out, when the weather is lovely). I do hope that you enjoyed the game. I wonder if a bunch of us with ME/CFS could play a nice, slooooow game where our heart rates don't go up that much. When you play with a group of healthy people it's just too tempting to push yourself to keep up!

I know I've said this before, but some of the best advice I've received is to only do 60% of what I feel I'm capable of. Sometimes my calculations are waaaayyyy off, but I still think that it's a good principle to try to operate on--it keeps me from pushing and crashing more often than not.

Davsey27

This is one of the hardest things, to hold ourselves back when we're feeling good (or, as @Wishful pointed out, when the weather is lovely). I do hope that you enjoyed the game. I wonder if a bunch of us with ME/CFS could play a nice, slooooow game where our heart rates don't go up that much. When you play with a group of healthy people it's just too tempting to push yourself to keep up!

I know I've said this before, but some of the best advice I've received is to only do 60% of what I feel I'm capable of. Sometimes my calculations are waaaayyyy off, but I still think that it's a good principle to try to operate on--it keeps me from pushing and crashing more often than not.

Thanks for this suggestion

BrightCandle

Pacing when ill is easy, you don't feel like doing anything because it hurts and you feel awful so it's easy to convince yourself to stay within known limits. It's the good days where you feel like more than normal is possible those are the dangerous days where it's so easy to choose to exceed your normal daily and cause a crash. Pacing is mental torture, you feel improve and you just want to do something anything more and yet the consequences can be huge.

Wishful

I did manage to do some pacing today. Whatever was causing my worsened symptoms seems to have passed (Yay! Whoopee!! Happpyhappyhappy!!! :):):)) and I managed a 45 minute walk, and then sawed firewood by hand for an hour or so, but then even though I still felt like sawing more, I decided to stop then just in case. How's that for pacing? :D

Just have to add some more big grins of relief at the worsening going away, since I had been really worried. :D:D:D:D