• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Religion?

Emmarose47

Hi
Having a higher spiritual power absolutely helps me live this way ... The thought of living without a faith and having the people connected it to it that I do is my life source .

I believe this is happening to me because it is meant to be ....
It's part of my spiritual path .
I've definitely deepened I spiritual inner relationship with something greater than me and also myself .

Love from a spiritual power gives me more love for myself .

I have difficulty believing in the traditionalg god who knows all ones thought and actions. I find that truly frightening. I also question the idea that god is all-loving. Why would you create someone, give it free will then tell it that if it didnt do what you say it will burn in hell forever?! That is the complete opposite of loving.

I would never condemn my children for ever not doing as I say so why would a 'superior' being do that?

I understand that people get comfort from believing in a loving God and most people crave certainty. I'm quite happy to be uncertain. I do believe in reincarnation as I think there is plenty of evidence for it. As I've said I am very open minded and questioning.

lenora

You know I think that as we age we go through thinking about many religions and beliefs along the way. Some strike a chord deep within us, and then there are times when we simply walk away from it.

At age 75 I couldn't tell you that I'm involved in a formal religion (for a very good reason). At one time I would have described myself as agnostic....but I don't feel that's a proper fit either.

I'm a reader and it's both good and bad as so many beliefs are thrown in one's path. I was raised in a religion, am grateful that I was, but it's not the one I would choose now. I pray for people simply b/c I feel we all need it (comforting - like chicken soup) or, if they don't want it, it's something good going into the universe. I would hope that people include me in their prayers....forget flowers, even though I love them also.

I don't pray for conversions, that wasn't part of my original faith either and I still don't know what I believe about the after-life. That's obviously b/c we simply don't know....and that's OK too.

However this illness has taught me about suffering and I don't know if I ever would have learned it in the same way or not. I've learned loneliness, losing and then finding myself again, losing loved ones many times and surviving them, being extremely kind and generous to others, not making people feel "small" so, yes, it has been a great teacher. I don't ever recall being mad b/c I have this illness and so many others....it just is. It is because I'm human and no, life was never meant to be fair. We're each on our own road....and may I wish you well on your path into this wider world? Yours, Lenora

You know I think that as we age we go through thinking about many religions and beliefs along the way. Some strike a chord deep within us, and then there are times when we simply walk away from it.

At age 75 I couldn't tell you that I'm involved in a formal religion (for a very good reason). At one time I would have described myself as agnostic....but I don't feel that's a proper fit either.

I'm a reader and it's both good and bad as so many beliefs are thrown in one's path. I was raised in a religion, am grateful that I was, but it's not the one I would choose now. I pray for people simply b/c I feel we all need it (comforting - like chicken soup) or, if they don't want it, it's something good going into the universe. I would hope that people include me in their prayers....forget flowers, even though I love them also.

I don't pray for conversions, that wasn't part of my original faith either and I still don't know what I believe about the after-life. That's obviously b/c we simply don't know....and that's OK too.

However this illness has taught me about suffering and I don't know if I ever would have learned it in the same way or not. I've learned loneliness, losing and then finding myself again, losing loved ones many times and surviving them, being extremely kind and generous to others, not making people feel "small" so, yes, it has been a great teacher. I don't ever recall being mad b/c I have this illness and so many others....it just is. It is because I'm human and no, life was never meant to be fair. We're each on our own road....and may I wish you well on your path into this wider world? Yours, Lenora
Hi Leonora,

Thanks for your most interesting post. I am very much like you. I dont actually pray but I send compassion out yo people and try to be respectful and care. My maxim is to treat others as I would like to be treated.

Before I got this illness I learned about loss, loneliness and suffering so I was aware that life is not fair. I consider myself lucky that I do not have severe ME/CFS and manage the symptoms the best way I can. In face ME/CFS has taught me to put my health (mental as well as physical) first. I have learned such a lot about the mind/body connection and natural therapies and this has led me to explore spiritual practices. Take care.

My relationship with God the Father, Jesus the Son and The Holy Spirit is definitely what carries me through. 28 years with ME (I was 13 when I fell ill) , and I know God is in the working, every day, every hour, every second.
I believe fully in instant healing, it has not happened yet, but I still believe I can wake up tomorrow fully healed. Jesus said we would meet trouble and trials, but He promised to walk us through. And He does. I’m not religious, I follow Jesus as best i can. I really don’t understand how I should have made it this far without Jesus.

I have another sister who is not Christian and she has struggled a lot more than me( she is not as ill as me at this point) .

I hope this answer is inside the rules. It’s hard to just say yes or no and not explain why and how.

Last edited:
Hi Imse,

I understand how some people get great comfort from believing in god 'the father' but as I've said I do not find that at all comforting. I was brought up a catholic in a strict catholic family. That is all I knew. I Ieft the church in my teens but went back when my favourite aunty died. It was empty for me. I was just going through the motions,. I contributed a lot to the church. I ran the Childrens' Liturgy, was a Classroom Assistant at the school and the priest also asked me to be a lay minister. I turned his offer down as I was on the point of starting my degree (at the age of 39) and I didn't want to commit. I knew at that point that I was moving away from Christianity.

I studied Theology and Religious studies and I learned a lot about Christianity and other religions. I found it all fascinating. I felt my eyes were being opened. I changed completely and joined a Buddhist group. I like the idea in Buddhism that we are responsible for our actions without reference to a creator god.

Religion can be a force for good or evil. That's why I think that religion should not have privileged influence on governments.

I am in a much happier place now than I have ever been. I do go to a local church now and again to enjoy the choir and I love church architecture. I live in the UK and love old churches but I do not believe in any of the dogma or the Bible. I also love the Christmas traditions and love a good carol concert.I have good friends who are Christian who are good people and I can appreciate the comfort it gives them.

As for me I am quite content to not be certain of things. I can relate more to Humanism and Buddhism although I am not a strict Buddhist.

Anchoress

For me, simply a deep quiet faith in Jesus Christ Son of God Saviour. Lived as simply however restricted a life. It used to fret me that I could not go to church etc as I had vowed, My home is my chapel now, my heart His sanctuary. My prayer table is at the bottom of the bed where I live most of each day. He is Peace and love and all things comforting and all things holy.

lenora

Hello @Anchoress.....As long as you never exclude other beliefs as being "not worthy", you should take comfort in your spiritual beliefs.

Personally, that's how I like to refer to them....as spiritual, because that's what they are.

@RupertBear....I, too, was raised to believe in one way only. However, I was also taught about other beliefs and they answered my many questions....sort of. Like I said, I'm a reader and I did go through an intense phase of having to learn as much as possible about other belief systems. But never, ever would I put down the people who believe in them....as long as someone isn't being hurt, why would I?

Fast forward many, many years. I can't attend services any longer, but I do favor the hymns and prayers of childhood (most non-denominational) for myself. My children were brought up in the same faith I was and my husband joined in, but never converted. That's fine. My father was one religion and my mother another. Our children have brought some of our grandchildren in one religion and the other hasn't exposed her children to anything. At some point, I think we all need something so I don't necessarily believe in their way (but it's none of my business, is it?).

I do find those old hymns and prayers to be comforting, yet other beliefs are also valid (in my opinion). For some of us it's a long, hard journey and we understand that we may change once again before all ends. If you're agnostic or atheist, I assume it's because you've found a home within those areas. I would never try to change you...there are plenty of books out there filled with theological beliefs and reasons.

Whatever your reasons and your age....you have my respect. It's your business, not mine. I have friends of many beliefs.....just like I was raised. Yours, Lenora

Anchoress

re your opening sentence Jesus is all and all .. signing off on this thread as I will not have my Lord thus.... Please respect this. Thank you. Goodnight!

lenora

@Anchoress.....I am not disrespecting you, however there is a whole world of other people who don't share the exact same beliefs. I'm only one of them.....my next door neighbors have another and so it goes.

I don't make fun of the beliefs of others, can't think of any reason why I would....but my mind is different from yours. Besides, how do you even know what my beliefs are? And why I have them?

I was brought up to be tolerant of everyone, and that's what I've lived by. Was my father worth less than my mother because of how he was raised? No, I don't believe so. My grandparents because they chose another religion? No. If there's anything my childhood taught me, it's that all people are worthy and should be respected unless they prove otherwise.

I grew up at a time when any religion except being a WASP was the only acceptable way to be. I don't believe that's true, but it's only MY belief. It doesn't have to be yours. Yours, Lenora

Hi Leonora, I totally agree with you. I have very good friends who are Christians and I totally respect them as they do me. We have some interesting conversations as they are very open minded.

Recently I have been researching Paganism. I find it fascinating and have realised that Paganism is more fitting with my values. You take from it what feels right for you and you can be agnostic or atheist and be a Pagan. There are a lot of false ideas around Paganism mainly due to the established Church spreading false information about it such as classing Pagans as worshippers of Satan etc.

It comes down to whatever gives comfort and feels right for the individual. As long as a person's beliefs are a positive addition to mankind then I am all for it. As you say, everyone is different and I would support any person's right to have a belief and the right to have none without coercion or undue influence from anyone.

lenora

Unfortunately some people do worship Satan....we consider them outside the mainstream in all ways.

Most people who believe in Paganism are like the rest of us....the change of seasons, feeling that we are part of nature, things of that sort. Some beliefs of it are more dangerous than others and, unfortunately, Hollywood has made a fortune on that aspect.

I'm a lot older than most and have probably read about most religions at one time or another...it's just the way my mind works. Besides, I did attend a strict Catholic school and we were actively encouraged to study other religions and the reasons behind them. That was very unusual, but it did give us permission and encouragement to use our minds. I think we were given a mind in order for it to be used.

Personally, I believe that the type of person we are is what truly matters. Some may profess a religion but don't follow a moral code. That's not my idea of religion....no matter what type it may be.

We're all different and that difference changes with time. At the moment (age 75) I'm happy with my beliefs and feel they're of benefit to others. I just wish everyone well, but draw the line at those who knowingly hurt others. My husband has different beliefs than I do, each of our children different than ours. Who knows what they'll believe in the end? But all are very good people.

I'm not so sure that anyone is interested in my beliefs anyway. I like to learn about other religions (the basics) but I don't probe the deep beliefs of anyone I know. That's their private business. Yours, Lenora