• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Relationship between crashes and stomach issues

Hi all,

Has anyone here noticed a relationship between their crashes and their stomach/gut/gastrointestinal/skin issues?

It’s something that I’ve noticed in myself for a while and I’m starting to try to link everything together. ME/CFS is an immune system issue and the gut plays a big part in the functioning of the immune system so it would make sense that they relate to each other when issues arise.

When I crash, not only do I get the expected fatigue/flu like feelings but I also get stomach/IBS/gastric issues. Along with that my skin always gets worse when I crash (I’m prone to rosacea and eczema and this always gets worse during a crash or when I’m running low preceding a crash).

Skin issues are a reaction to what’s going on inside your body and it just feels like there’s a relationship between it all.

Does anyone else notice a similar pattern?

Seven7

Seven
Mine is clear, I overdo then I get diahrreah.
I do have POTs so if I have stomach upset for another reason can trigger a OI crash. But for Cfs for sure crash comes first.

lafarfelue

Yep, definitely. Sometimes if I don't stick to my restrictive diet, I can trigger a crash. (I miss cheese and hot chips so much sometimes though :aghhh:)

There's been a lot of discussion about 'leaky gut', HPA axis etc on the forums and I've found some little gems of knowledge/help in among those discussions that've helped me :)