• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reducing hypersensitivity to stimuli

Learner1

This study just came out. It explains how I increasing acetylcholine in the brain can reduce hypersensitivity to smell, but I'd imagine it might also be for things like light and sound:

https://neurosciencenews.com/choline-transporter-information-19805/

They discovered that the choline transporter, a protein that takes up choline into neurons so that the cells can produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, regulates habituation to smells. Fruit flies with fewer choline transporters in certain parts of the brain did not become habituated to the scent and instead became hypersensitive...

...The hypersensitivity and other changes observed in the flies with fewer choline transporters are similar to symptoms seen in people with Autism spectrum disorder. Additionally, previous work has shown that variations in the choline transporter have been associated with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Both Mestinon and Huperzine A increase acetylcholine in the brain which may be helpful in reducing hypersensitivity to stimuli. Of course, no rush be has studied this in M/CFS, so we can only guess.

Last edited:

Jessie 107

Mestinon or pyridostigmine bromide (generic name) is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor used to treat myasthenia gravis and Sjögren's syndrome. It inhibits the acetylcholinesterase enzyme from breaking down acetylcholine, resulting in higher circulating levels of the neurotransmitter. It cannot cross the blood brain barrier, and so only works on the peripheral nervous system.

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Mestinon

Also seems like acetylcholine doesnt cross the blood brain barrier from what i read.