• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reduced Glutathione + Bicarbonate Sodium reaction (is oxidized?)

I take Reduced Glutahione (Setria) regularly but the acidity of the product begins to be a problem, especially when I take it days in a row, so I tried taking it with antacids(Bicarbonate Sodium aprox 1/8 teaspoon) and when combining it in a glass with a little water (approximately 100ml) you can hear a reaction.
My question is whether by doing this the glutathione is oxidized.
I estimate that I make it with 100mg of glutathione per 1/16 teaspoon, and the result is more tolerable in terms of acidity and stomach upset but I don't know about its antioxidant capacity.

LINE

I experimented countless times with glutathione as capsules and never had a good outcome with it. Not that it necessarily caused problems, but it never was effective.

I learned later that since glutathione is a tri-peptide, that the stomach acids quickly degraded the glutathione which lessens its potency. (A tri-peptide means that there are 3 amino acids that comprise glutathione).

I moved over to liposomal glutathione and achieved much better results. Liposomal delivery systems are far superior for some molecules such as glutathione. The liposome is actually a fat molecule with the substance embedded in the fat molecules thus it mimics the cell which rapidly uptakes the substance.

I do not recall the liposomal having an acid type of effect. My only caution about it was to start below the recommended dosages then move it up. The issue I had was the lipo glutathione was very powerful in removing toxins which overwhelmed my system. It is better to detox slowly and consistently rather than surging. It was also beneficial to use substances that could grab the toxins (chlorella, zeolite etc.).

I use sodium bicarb a couple of times per week which is a great detox agent in itself.

well i try with NAC + sodium bicarbonate and have the same reaction, it is even more tolerable than Glutathione but I don't know about its if it remains antioxidant capacity, from my own experience it seems that the effect is still positive and equal to or better than normal version(without bicarbonate). 🤔

LINE

well i try with NAC + sodium bicarbonate and have the same reaction, it is even more tolerable than Glutathione but I don't know about its if it remains antioxidant capacity, from my own experience it seems that the effect is still positive and equal to or better than normal version(without bicarbonate). 🤔
I presume that you are doing these together? Why not take them separately, say 15 minutes apart.