• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recovery Time: Pneumonia on top of ME/CFS

pattismith

I'm getting over pneumonia and recovery is slow. At this point I can't tell whether it's the pneumonia or my ME/CFS or simple laziness that is making me feel so weak. Have had the ME/CFS for many years, but am normally a lot more active than this.

Sorry to read about your pneumonia, do you know if a virus triggered it?
Did you get an antibiotic for it?

Wolfcub

It takes a little while to get over pneumonia even for a strong person. Be gentle with yourself. Rest if you feel you need to, and eat well.
If you did take antibiotics, maybe it unbalanced your gut flora a bit?

jesse's mom

I was hospitalized for Flu type A and Pneumonia for 11 days about 15 months ago. I have not recovered to my earlier baseline yet. My ME/CFS is still mostly severe. I am learning to pace better and am supplementing more. Frequent PEM still.

Did you ever find it hard to tell which illness was making you feel bad? I originally came down with ME/CFS in 1991, and I feel almost as sick now as I did back then! Which was really sick!

jesse's mom

I became severe after my stay in the hospital I also had Flu Type A that I think brought on the pneumonia. They treated me with antibiotics, antivirals and steroids. I had mono in the early 1980's and meningitis in 2011.