• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recently Started the Gupta Programme

Hi there,

I recently started the Gupta Amygdala Retraining Programme. I'm not the most self-disciplined person (that's an understatement!), and I find the 6-month commitment daunting so I've set up a blog to help motivate myself to stick at it. Getting better is my top priority for 2010. I've been ill for almost 2 years, and after trying a bunch of conventional and alternative treatments that didn't help, I found Gupta's explanation made sense to me. I'm hoping this programme will work. Bit too early to tell yet, but please follow me on my blog and I'll let you know how it goes for me.

Here's wishing a speedy recovery to all who suffer from CFS!

Cheers,
Graham

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks Graham - hope you'll pop in here and give us a short update every now and then. I've been doing Gupta in a very undisciplined fashion on and off for quite a while. Its definitely been helpful but there's definitely quite a ways to go. Good luck with everything.

3 Month Update

Well it's 3 months since I started the Gupta programme, so I thought I'd give you all an update on where my symptoms are at.

I don't feel radically different, but I don't seem to have the lows that I used to. I'm not feeling so desperate about being ill, or about getting better. I still feel like I have a mild cold, but it's a mild cold that doesn't bother me quite so much. I'm not as jittery as I used to be; I don't drop or spill things so often. I still feel a little tense, but not so much as before. I'm more relaxed. Well, with all that meditation, I'd wanna be!

I haven't had a headache in a few weeks, and it's been a long time since I got out of bed, walked to the kitchen and felt like I'd been run over by a truck. So I'm getting there, slowly. I'm getting used to not filling my days with planned activities, and feeling OK about that. I feel a little anxious about where I'll be at when 6 months rolls around. Almost all my plans for the future are contingent on getting my health back to 100%, and I'd love the nasal drip thing and the cough it causes to go away. If you met me on a good day, you'd have no idea there was anything wrong with me, and I'm hesitant to tell people what's up until I get to know them a bit. I now consider myself "recovering from CFS" rather than "suffering from CFS".

So... I'm getting there, and that's a great feeling!

Cheers, Graham

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks for the update. Hey Graham how are you on adherence to the program? My problem has been a severe lack of discipline! How much of the meditation stuff do you do a day? How about the process itself?

For me doing these types of things has slowly been quite helpful. I have, not however, done them with the consistency I'm sure they need to have their full effect.

susan

Cort,
I have sort of fallen off the truck with Gupta, but I know it works as I saw my friend recover. I have not had her luck. I never had the negative thoughts much which always bothered me. however I reallllll y concentrated on the breathing and tried different forms. I find the best time to do it is when you wake up.....dont leave the bed till it is done.

I have branched out to all types of music meditations and I am now such an expert in controlling my breathing which I believe has helping me heaps. I am very grateful to Ashok for what he has taught me. Doing the Methylation now and gut programs and having good progress.

JanisB

great to hear of improvement. wonder if gupta programme would help HIV+ patients or just patients in general

Just listened to sessions 1 and 2. I think it is specifically designed to help patients who have overactive amygdala or stress responses. This would include other NEID's as well as PTSD. All of these mind-body techniques help with chronic illness, but I think there might be programs better designed for HIV. Zinn's Full Catastrophy Living, for example, was designed for all chronic illnesses and focuses on relaxation and acceptance. I don't know how Gupta differs yet.

JanisB

Thanks for the update. Hey Graham how are you on adherence to the program? My problem has been a severe lack of discipline! How much of the meditation stuff do you do a day? How about the process itself?

For me doing these types of things has slowly been quite helpful. I have, not however, done them with the consistency I'm sure they need to have their full effect.

Cort, I am thinking about ordering this, but I don't want to stress myself out with too much to do. How much time daily do you think the process requires? Why is it hard for so many to keep up with it?
Janis