• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

REALLY good personal thyroid news

Ayaju

For a bunch of years I've had a cyst on my thyroid that grew a little so endocrinologists wanted to do a biopsy on. I had a different opinion; that made them unhappy. Today, the cyst is not only not larger or not cancerous; it's GONE. I give the most credit to the iodine supplement Iodoral. Even though it's controversial, and most doctors won't even discuss the idea of taking iodine (even though most people are deficient in it; causing all kinds of ailments), my new doctor of integrative medicine open-mindedly watched the DVDs I lent her of Dr. David Brownstein; one about iodine and one about thyroid. The rest is history: an unbelievable happy ending in less than a year. The Hashimotos and hypothyroid I've had for 20 years are getting better too; because of Iodoral, using unrefined Celtic Sea salt, switching from Synthroid to NatureThroid, and taking a few other specific supplements. Thanks for listening to my brag. Maybe it can help someone.

Finally, something to be happy about health-wise! Now, if only I can cure my CFS! Judy :)

EE.png

Ema

I'm really happy for you! That's awesome that the cyst is gone.

Iodine can also dramatically worsen Hashimoto's though. Very few doctors will recommend iodine to Hashi's patients for this reason as it can send the thyroid antibodies out of control. It's not because of ignorance of iodine! It's important to keep this in mind if choosing to take large doses of iodine. Trace doses of iodine such as those found in sea salt naturally are a different story, of course.

The larger problem in my opinion is not a lack if iodine supplementation but the replacement of iodine with bromide in commercially baked goods. Bromide not only isnt iodine but it blocks the receptors.

Ema

Ayaju

Oh! I'm so glad you brought that up, Ema, about iodine and Hashimotos, and thank you for the kudos!

Per his 20-year research, and treating over 5000 (or is it 2000? lol), www.drbrownstein.com treats Hashimotos with Iodoral. My doctor was fearful about supporting me in taking Iodoral until she watched his DVDs, and read the research. Now she's a believer. My cyst went away using only 25 mgs. of Iodoral, but I'm slowly increasing my dose because it can continue to heal my hypothyroidism, maybe even the CFS in part.

Yeah, bromide is sooo toxic, and it's in everything from some ice creams and car interiors, to everything in between! Bromide can mimic T3 and T4 in the body. Iodoral and unrefined Celtic Sea salt detoxes bromide. It can be the bromide die-off that causes temporarily worsening symptoms: not the iodine. I believe him!

Judy

perchance dreamer

My integrative P.A. suggested Iodoral to me years ago when I did the 24-hour urine test for iodine. I took a high dose of Iodoral--50 MG, I believe--and then collected urine over the course of a day. I got a result that I didn't retain as much iodine as I should have.

So I've taken Iodoral for years. In addition to iodine's other benefits, it's supposed to help a little bit with the harm from flouridated water.

I'd like to do a repeat test to see if 12.5 MG is still a good dose for me, but it's so gross to collect the urine over a whole day! You have to keep it in a jug in the fridge.

golden

For a bunch of years I've had a cyst on my thyroid that grew a little so endocrinologists wanted to do a biopsy on. I had a different opinion; that made them unhappy. Today, the cyst is not only not larger or not cancerous; it's GONE. I give the most credit to the iodine supplement Iodoral. Even though it's controversial, and most doctors won't even discuss the idea of taking iodine (even though most people are deficient in it; causing all kinds of ailments), my new doctor of integrative medicine open-mindedly watched the DVDs I lent her of Dr. David Brownstein; one about iodine and one about thyroid. The rest is history: an unbelievable happy ending in less than a year. The Hashimotos and hypothyroid I've had for 20 years are getting better too; because of Iodoral, using unrefined Celtic Sea salt, switching from Synthroid to NatureThroid, and taking a few other specific supplements. Thanks for listening to my brag. Maybe it can help someone.

Finally, something to be happy about health-wise! Now, if only I can cure my CFS! Judy :)

View attachment 5385

Wow !!!! Thats fantastic -:)

Thanks for posting news !

I am going to look at link now.

Awesome ! :)

jeffrez

Very interesting report, Judy, and I'm really glad to hear about your improvement. As someone w/Hashimoto's who also had (has) thyroid nodules, also recently biopsied, I would be scared to death (no pun intended) to take idiodine. Is there any way to determine in advance if a person is likely to benefit, say by measuring iodine levels? My docs seem reluctant to re-test the autoantibodies too often, which perhaps could detect early signs of worsening. (Would be nice to find docs who would actually do their job. :rolleyes: )

I'd love to have these nodules disappear and the Hashimoto's resolve, but as Ema indicated, it's well-known that iodine can actually greatly exacerbate both the autoimmunities and the hypothyroidism in people with AI Hashimoto's. I've been cranking up the selenium to moderate levels for the past 6-9 months to see if that would help, but I haven't noticed any subjective improvement, and the TSH actually has gone up a little. From what I have read, iodine might be made safer with the intake of selenium to balance it, so now I'm wondering if I'm getting relatively too much Se and that iodine might actually help at this point. Any insight? thx

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Ayaju

So glad to hear your results!

My hypothyroid has normalized too. I was taking low dose Armour and a low dose of Iodoral but I think other treatments made for the healing as I had been taking these 2 for a long time and my thyroid tests changed dramatically in about 6 months.

One caution I'll share from my experience. I didn't realize that I was no longer hypothyroid and continued with low dose Armour and iodine. Then I started getting atrial fibrillation and, as being hyperthyroid can cause this, I had a full round of tests again and was indeed very hyperthyroid. I stopped the Armour and also the iodine because even a tiny dose of Iodoral gave me palpitations. (I also had done the 24 hour urine test for iodine.)

So, since your thyroid is healing, maybe you should get frequent tests to make sure you don't flip over to hyperthyroid like I did.

Best wishes with this!
Sushi

Ayaju

jeffrez, if you can swing it, order Dr. Brownstein's DVDs, or even his books. He's the one who gave me the confidence to pursue Iodoral even with Hashimotos; and for me it paid off. I was being monitored closely by my doctor. He also talks about the iodine testing he recommends. I wasn't able to go through the proper channels to do that specific iodine loading test; but so far haven't needed it.

Sushi, the same thing was starting to happen to me; I had just touched into hyperthyroidism for the first time in my life! What a shocker after being hypo for 20 years. My doc is keeping a close eye on me. She also has me on L-Tyroseine (Thorne), and a few other supps. Congrats on getting off Armour! Wow! I'm not sure not taking any Iodoral is a good idea though? Since a really high percentage of people are deficient. I started giving 12.5 mgs. to my daughters and their menstrual cramps stopped. It's good stuff; when needed by the body.

Dr. Brownstein taught me that this "it's well noted" business about not being able to treat Hashimotos with Iodoral is nonsense. Finding a doctor that will agree to it is another matter! Mine almost didn't! And then where would I be?!; still fearing cancer!

All I know is I got really lucky, and I want to pay it forward!

Judy

golden

Ayaju,

I don't know much about thyroid stuff but waw just wondering would this be worth researching to treat a TSH of 7 or not?

Thanks

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Ayaju,

I don't know much about thyroid stuff but waw just wondering would this be worth researching to treat a TSH of 7 or not?

Thanks

Ayaju,

Thanks

7 is pretty high. I'd think it would indicate getting a fuller range of thyroid tests--free T3 and T4, reverse T3, etc.

Sushi

golden

7 is pretty high. I'd think it would indicate getting a fuller range of thyroid tests--free T3 and T4, reverse T3, etc.

Sushi
NHS wont give me a full panel thyroid test.

I found someone whose TSH was in the 90's !!!

:)