• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Realistically, How Can We Find a Cure?

Moof

I use two enormous Dutch pots...if I could get slow cookers that big, I would! It's the stirring, simmering, and keeping an eye on progress that I struggle with, so I chop up mounds of vegetables and cook it all at once. I'm no use to anyone for the next few days, but at least I'm fed.

brenda

I tried the vegetarian diet and concluded it was not for me, by assuming it was doing without meat causing the problem, and thinking l could not absorb vegetable protein as well, but now, having adopted the whole food plant based, no sugar salt or oil, see that l was mistaken and it was because l had increased dairy and that was a major problem for me.

This is a problem for many l think, making such assumptions because they are not basing their choice on research and the plant based diet has more of that, and going on for longer, than any other diet. It is proven to reverse heart disease and no other diet has that record.

If you cover the few possible deficiencies which will always include b12 your body will be your guide and will clearly show you what not to eat, and after having tried just about every diet known l have found that no other diet can be relied on in this way.

You do not have to spend acres of time studying nutrition, you only have to listen to the top plant based doctors on YouTube, who will cite the research they use including the China Study, and basically just see for yourselves how they look in their old age. I dont see any keto fans in their old age.

Low carbing nearly destroyed my health despite eating masses of leafy greens as it increased insulin resistance and gave me gall bladder and pancreas attacks.

edawg81

We know the dysfunction in MECFS that causes the symptoms; dysregulated immune system, dysregulated energy production; dysregulated neurological and nervous system. We all exhibit different symptoms because our bodies respond differently to this dysregulation. Determining the cause of this will determine effective treatment, which to me is more important than a cure, and may be different for each person impacted, thats why people respond differently to each treatment. Ron Davis is doing a great job of exploring all biomedical data he has collected on the disease, without bias towards any one specific cause or hypothesis, treating each on their scientific merit. This disease is one of the most complex diseases due to the vast differences in illness presentation, onset and progression and lack of a uniform biomarker. I think over the next 5 years we will have answers, we will have a biomarker, we may even have subsets. If we can find an existing drug that can treat the underlying dysfunction or those to each corresponding subset, then treatment will occur much faster than if a new drug needs to be developed. I don't think a cure is realistic, as much as I wish for one, but effective treatment that restores the quality of life to the people that suffer from MECFS is very possible over the next few years. This path has been similar for other complex diseases that were once poorly understood and dismissed.

AngelM

The Mediterranean Diet is the one that both physicians and friends seem to recommend the most. It seems like a good, healthy compromise. I bought the book, but still have some difficulty sticking to it. I am a hummus-eater, too. And like the fact that it can be made of white beans, beets—almost anything. And I only use extra virgin olive oil. But, nowadays, everybody does. But is their an “Idiot’s Guide” to the Mediterranean Diet? Standing over a hot stove preparing Greek meals sounds miserable to me.