• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rash / itching

Kati

Patient in training
Hives and itchiness

Hmmm , tonight I found myself being itchy all over, especially scalp, neck and torso and found 1 hive I could see. Never had them- and I don't know why today. My meds have been the same for months- and I haven't been eating anything out of the ordinary. Of course it happens at night when all the stores are closed and don't have Benadryl at hand. (itchiness is not that bad really)

Any thoughts as how it relates to CFS?:confused:

Itchiness is my most characteristic symptom - and over the years I've found that when I'm itching badly, my other (more typical CFS) symptoms are much reduced. This appears to be due to a complete vulnerability to any kind of molds or spores, and I seem to pick stuff up on my clothes when I go out and sit on the wrong chairs, especially in places like theatres. I've recently found that it's normally something specific I'm wearing that sets me off, but it's really hard to track down because the itching is all over my body, not particularly at the place where I'm in contact with (wearing or sitting on) whatever's setting me off, even when it seems to be localised.

The only advice I can give is to pay attention to possible food sensitivities (not necessarily allergies) which can be cumulative (and thus hard to work out without testing) and to keep trying different clothes, bedding etc (also washing powders are very provocative, I use washing balls, never powders, especially not biological powders) although brand new clothes frequently give me very strong reactions as soon as I try them on. Deep experimentation, and establishing an 'oasis' of reliable safety from reactions, are vital. An air filter (HEPA filter) is also vital to remove spores etc from the air of course.

I don't know, of course, whether my syndrome is XMRV, CFS, or an unrelated sensitivity to multiple allergens, but the above are my characteristic symptoms of 15+ years. When I itch all night (disrupting my sleep) I quickly start to develop the other symptoms of CFS; my sleep is unrefreshing whenever I'm in this state, even when I can sleep. Focusing on reducing/removing sources of itching, over the years, has improved my other symptoms more than anything else. But it may also have been improved by things like Di_ribose and all the other supplements I've tried over the years. I eat an extremely restricted diet too, which seems to have helped.

The weirdest thing is, I appear to infect everything I wear within about 3 days. If I stay in a hotel, on about the 3rd night the sheets and pillow start to make me itch (assuming they didn't do so on the 1st night). I have long suspected that I'm sweating out some toxin onto sheets and clothing, and wondered if I'm unusual in being able to feel the re-infection physically.

I'm also now wondering whether it's the pathogen itself (eg fungus-embedded XMRV) that I'm sweating out...

SeaShel

Hi Kati -

I get itchy often also, without hives.

Even though you haven't had a med change, they are something to consider. The last year or so, I feel like I react to every-dang-thing. Even Vit D and CoQ10.

I take a lower dose of pain meds than what is indicated, because I itch if I take any higher. I have to be really judicious with using break thru pain meds, cuz the itching will make me nuts.

Whether our CNS gets activated by who-knows-what and that makes us more prone to itch, or whether a med or supplement starts building up, or the clouds shift direction in the sky, I don't know, but I know it's annoying!

S.

Frickly

Rashes/Low blood circulation

I am in alot of pain tonight. I have a rash on the right side of my face and lots of pain from my shoulders down to my fingers. It feels like there is not enough blood circulation and is worse in my left arm. My left arm and hand are very cold and my hands feel numb. My neck still feels stiff for the last couple of weeks. My face feels very hot to the touch as well as a rash. I have had these symptoms before and just concerned about why I am having them. Anyone else have this happen. Of course, along with these symptoms I have my regular CFS muscle fatigue stuff but intensified. No energy. I feel like I have an infecton. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

xchocoholic

Frickly,

Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems tonight. Sounds scarey ...

I'm not familiar with rashes on the face, pain, etc. I get rashes on my abdomen regularly though ... I googled "rash face pain" and got several hits ... hopefully, these will help you narrow it down.

http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/facial-rash.htm

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100055434

FWIW .. most of my symptoms are from food intolerances and allergies ... Have you tried taking an allergy med yet ? Once, when my DD had a severe allergic reaction they used plain old benadryl in the ER. Also, I've found that when I'm in pain, it helps to try to relax as much as possible. Hot bath, zone out in front of the tv, etc ...

hope you feel better soon ... X :)

Frickly

Thanks

It does feel like an allergic reaction. It also spurs all my other CFS symptoms. I will check out your links. Thank you.:)

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Hi Frickly,
For what it's worth, I have had a couple of episodes of a rash on one side of my face - my eye also became very red & a lot of my eyelashes fell out. I still have no idea what caused it exactly, it lasted about a week as I recall. Also one of my general symptoms is pain in the front of my shoulders & down my left arm, corresponding in intensity to my overall degree of flare-up.
Wish I had some answers for you, but at least know you're not alone in this.

Frickly

Thanks,

I just posted under the antiviral section about a new treatment I started for my EBV. I wonder if the antiviral is killing off this virus and causing this allergic reaction? This disease is so bizzare. No wonder doctors think we are hypochondriacs.:)

I get something similar

I haven't had exactly what you are experiencing, but I do have a rash pattern - so to speak.

It will usually start during a time of high stress. A mild sore throat will begin and then (excuse me for this) colored sputum, as if I'm going to start a cold or something. At the same time the outside of my upper right arm will begin to hurt. Within a few days I will develop a raised, warm to the touch, itching and hurting rash on the arm. It will last for several weeks (4-5) and sort of move around on the arm. My husband says it seems to act like a colony.

I would be curious if anyone else has these strange rash patterns.

Lucie

Frickly

Interesting...

My twin sister also gets rashes and we both agree that strong emotions seem to bring on these rashes. We are also sensitive to wine and get a rash when we drink. Still....other times it seems to come on for no reason. Lately, they seem to be more severe.

K

Karmastrophic

I get the itchiness and it makes me nuts! I've tried anti-itch creams like Sarna and hydrocortisone, but it doesn't have any effect. I can't take Benadryl because it makes my heart race.

I've noticed I only get itchy in the areas of my wrists, my ankles, and the top of my feet - the only think I've found that helps when this starts is to run very hot water over the area until the nerve endings sizzle. Kind of like the "If I kick you in the shin, then you won't notice you stubbed your toe" philosophy.

Related note: kidney function is normal, I watch that like a hawk since my mother is prone to painless kidney stones and is now end-stage renal failure. I figure there may be some family trait there that I'd rather see coming...

Sing

Itching and A Bit of Brain Chemistry

Hi!

I started feeling more itchy tonight after reading the Weird Symptoms Thread where it was featured and now this one! Cort, I believe, suggested it might be scabies, if you haven't seen his post.

If I take Aricept everyday and then have what would have been a small itching reaction to something, this is much amplified. For instance, my allergic itching to black fly bites or poison ivy, greatly expands. But if I stop the Aricept, it goes back down. Aricept enhances acetylcholine in the brain, holds it in there longer as a re-uptake inhibitor. This definitely helps with cognitive "executive" functions of the brain. This drug is called cholinergic. Betadine is anti-cholinergic, knocking down the acetylcholine and allergic response, but also resulting in more brain fog and sleepiness.

Gabapentin, which increases the neurotransmitter GABA in the brain, reduces nerve pain. It helps Shingles and my ME/CFS or FM/MPS pain, whichever it is. It is a very safe drug and not processed by the liver.

I've developed increasing pain in response to fabrics, 1st wool, then fleece, now nubbly cottons too. Isn't that absurd? Carrying any weight too on my body and of course anything tight at all. I was scared this fall about how I would keep warm, since I am often cold too. But I found some down outerwear.

Cecelia

Kati

Patient in training
Since I am a rookie, I am registering eerything and it sound like there is some fun times for me in the future, espeically if my dr continues to be a ding bat about all my symptoms and unwellness-

Scabies, ykes, didn't know about that one. What else can go wrong?

leelaplay

Since I am a rookie, I am registering eerything and it sound like there is some fun times for me in the future, espeically if my dr continues to be a ding bat about all my symptoms and unwellness-

Scabies, ykes, didn't know about that one. What else can go wrong?

Hang-in there Kati! You're off to a great start being as informed as you are already - and you don't know for sure yet what you've got.

And some get very severe cases and others less so. I've read that if it is caught and a lot of rest and treatment of difficult symptoms takes place within the first 3 years, then the prognosis is better. That may have been Dr. Carruthers, not sure, sorry.

Because I couldn't remember things, my doctor encouraged me to
- develop a daily chart that shows activities, energy level and symptoms
- and to bring a list to our appointments so I'd remember what I needed to tell or ask, and so I could then could take notes on it

The daily chart is gold for me - otherwise I'm sure things would just be a blur.

Same for the list - I keep it and all notes on the appointment in a binder.

My written brain! I do keep some things on disk, but also keep hard copies. I actually find hard copies easier to review, and to find certain things on.

islandfinn:)

Kati

Patient in training
Thanks for your encouragements Island Finn, I am actually feeling quite discouraged these days with people - doctors, friends, insurance company not understanding what it's like to be me and with myself. I don't know if there is a light at the end of the tunnel- I am so tired to go nowhere!

The good news if there is to be one is I haven't had any other hive, so let's say that it was just a fluke.

G

greybeh

Rash?

I get a blotchy rash on my chest. The allergist is stumped. We even did patch testing.

About two weeks ago, the rash took on a "raw"-looking appearance to where people seeing it were asking me, "Does that HURT?!?"

It was itchy, but I stop short of calling it "painful."

I do not know if it's coincidental that it seems to flare up when I'm feeling stressed or when my pain level spikes.

The allergist suggested that when it happens again, to go and see a dermatologist and have it biopsied. He mentioned lupus, but I always have a negative ANA test.

I ask, because I encountered another person with fibromyalgia who was also asking about a very similar rash. Thanks, folks!

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
rash

Greybeh,
I get a blotchy rash on my chest.
Might this be fungal? I had a rash on my back for quite awhile. Itchy. Kept thinking (irrationally) that it was poison oak I got off a towel at my daughter's house. I put calamine lotion on it to no avail. Finally, I showed it to my doctor who suggested it might be fungal. I put drops of grapefruit seed extract in some body lotion and applied several times a day. It went away. My guess is that it was a skin level manifestation of my basic fungal issues that came out when my body was under extreme stress due to non-related medical treatment. Just a thought.

G

greybeh

I don't know. I never really thought about that. It's just odd that it's reoccurring and always in the same spot! I thought for sure that I was allergic to something in my necklace. The allergist agreed it was likely, too... but came up empty-handed after the patch testing.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Hi greybeh. My very first CFS symptom was a strange skin rash around my throat, and it's continued to recur. I was struck by what you said about thinking it was caused by your necklace, because I had the same reaction initially. My doctor also thought maybe fungal, but antifungals did not help. Now I get it on the front of my shoulders, inside of elbows, and shins, and it flares in sync with all my symptoms. The consensus as of now is it's eczema (which doesn't mean a whole lot, if you look into it - it's like "rash for no reason") but I am able control it with otc hydrocortisone cream, applied preventively. I've also begun taking Benadryl for sleep, and that seems, as a side effect, to maybe be keeping the rashes down even more.

M

misskoji

Hi

I'm glad you posted this, I also have this type of rash. Always on my neck, abdomen and chest. Just like you, it pops up in the same places over and over again.

One "lucky" time I happened to have this rash while visiting Dr. Lerner. My mother asked him what it was caused from because, well I was weak and fogged. She was frustrated that no other Dr. could find the cause...GP, allergist, dermatologist.

His answer was short but made sense, to me anyway. HHV-6 will cause among other things, skin reactions. And when our bodies are under stress or symptomatic of a flare, it gives HHV-6 an upper hand to be prominent.

I also thought that perhaps it was yeast. But Dr. Lerner seems less than impressed with that. I trusted him, so I believed it.

May I ask what yours looks and feels like? When mine starts its usually red and inflamed, very itchy. As days go by, it looks like little bumps, perhaps pustules. Then it kind of dries and is very scaley in apperance and feel. Mine usually take up to three weeks to clear.