• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions for all who take thyroid medicine in the morning

drob31

I take low dose Armour Thyroid every morning prescribed by my Endo for Hashimotos. My TSH without any med is right on the border (3.8 to 4.0) and with Armour is consistently at 1.0. I just have high levels of both Hashis antibodies which we are trying to lower. My Endo told me (back in Oct 2013 when it was first diagnosed and prescribed) that I cannot take any "minerals" for four hours after taking it or it can decrease the absorption of the med. If my memory is correct, he mentioned Calcium, Iron, and Magnesium.

Have you had any inflammatory cytokine panels done? The reason I ask is because if you can lower these with immune modulators (assuming you can't find the root cause), then hypothetically you can quite the autoimmune response.

Ema

Hi Emma,

Do you have a source for this? That's a really interesting observation. I'm pretty sure my aldo is high.
No, my doctor said it and since it lined up with my own experience, I never questioned it! I'll see if I can find something though.

Gingergrrl

Have you had any inflammatory cytokine panels done? The reason I ask is because if you can lower these with immune modulators (assuming you can't find the root cause), then hypothetically you can quite the autoimmune response.

@drob31 I don't know of any doctors (except for INIM in Florida) who runs the cytokine panels? How would someone get them done? It also seems that they show general inflammation vs. anything specific (or is that incorrect- I really don't know?!)

drob31

As I understand it, they are the part of the inflammatory response, so if you can quite that response down, you should hypothetically be able to quite the autoimmune response.

Gingergrrl

As I understand it, they are the part of the inflammatory response, so if you can quite that response down, you should hypothetically be able to quite the autoimmune response.

The only autoimmune response that I know I have is Hashimotos and I am negative on ANA and Rheumatoid Factor. What types of things are you talking about re: quieting the autoimmune response? Do you mean immune modulators or something else?

drob31

The only autoimmune response that I know I have is Hashimotos and I am negative on ANA and Rheumatoid Factor. What types of things are you talking about re: quieting the autoimmune response? Do you mean immune modulators or something else?

Yeah, basically things that modulate your immune system. I know it's very complex, but if you can find out which cytokines were high, and your TH balance (TH1/TH2/TH17, etc), you could theorectically take immune modulators that would lower those markers, which should hypothetically quiet down the part of the immune system that is out of control. I know people with enterovirus take equilibrant for example. I have read some people trying various supplements to lower inflammatory cytokine values.

Gingergrrl

Yeah, basically things that modulate your immune system. I know it's very complex, but if you can find out which cytokines were high, and your TH balance (TH1/TH2/TH17, etc), you could theorectically take immune modulators that would lower those markers, which should hypothetically quiet down the part of the immune system that is out of control. I know people with enterovirus take equilibrant for example. I have read some people trying various supplements to lower inflammatory cytokine values.

@drob31 Do you know of labs that test cytokines outside of INIM in Florida? Also, I have never understood what TH1,TH2 and TH17 mean? I know I asked about it once before but obviously didn't retain the answer in my brain! What does it mean and if you know which immune system you have, how does that tell you which modulators to take? I started a thread a while back on immune modulators but it got complicated and I was still unclear how to proceed.

drob31

I know there are some options such as true health labs:
http://www.truehealthlabs.com/Th1-Th2-Cytokine-Test-Advanced-p/ns_5105.htm

What's Being Tested:

Test can not be collected in New York State.

• Th1 cytokines (IL-2, IL6, IFN-y, TNF-a)
  • Th2 cytokines (IL-4, IL-6, IL-10, IL-13)
  • Th17 cytokine (IL-17)
  • Each cytokine is reported as a baseline and stimulated. Learn about stimulated cytokines.
  • For those with autoimmune concerns, It is suggested to run this test during times of "flare-ups" or when felling "bad".
- See more at: http://www.truehealthlabs.com/Th1-Th2-Cytokine-Test-Advanced-p/ns_5105.htm#sthash.HmXJiEuA.dpuf

TH1/TH2/TH17 are all part of the complexities of the immune system. TH stands for T-helper. There's a good thread on it here, it's Dr. Edwards approved:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...minute-bites-t-cells-cytokines-and-mhc.33514/

Also, this guy does some detective work (not Dr. Edwards approved, but interesting):

http://livingwellnessblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/does-your-autoimmunity-have-a-name/

Also:

perchance dreamer

I take Nature-Throid, similar to Armour. I take it sublingually, too. I avoid calcium and iron supplements for at least 2 hours afterward.

I do take milk in my coffee, though, which I drink about 1/2 hour after the Nature-Throid. I don't worry about it because my thyroid levels seem to be fine.

Gingergrrl

@drob31 I didn't get a chance to read the links or watch the video yet (and this was one of the threads I lost track of!) but thank you for posting them and I am planning to watch later and respond further.

drob31

One thing I wanted to mention about thyroid medication;

I think it's possible that the source for unfreshing sleep (in some cases), is low thyroid hormones at night. Since t3 is usually highest in the early morning, it could be lower then because of suppressed TSH, or just low t3 period. I'm going to experiment with taking 5-10 mcg Slow release t3 before bed in hopes it keeps it elevated during this time and maybe makes sleep more refreshing.