• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questioning Tattoos and the Immune System

lenora

I'm aware that there are a number of younger people on this site, and I'm wondering if any of you had tattoos done before your illness?

I've read up on this topic, so I think it's worthwhile to bring it to everyone's attention (and you may already be aware of the problems). First off, the ink is not FDA approved. While it doesn't cause cancer, a slight increase in melanoma has been noticed and it's thought that the artists hit areas containing it and spread it around. I wouldn't worry as this isn't terribly common.

The immune system can react to tattoos and their ink years after the artistry has been done. That then falls into the category of breast implants and the like, as it generally attaches to the lymph nodes of the body.

Personally, even at my age, I'm used to tattoos b/c a lot of the men in the Armed Forces returned with them after WWII, especially those in the Pacific arena. Chances are that natural plants were used to make the colors then....today things are different.

So if you're thinking of getting a tattoo, do read up on the side-effects that may occur. I'm not trying to alarm anyone, but it is a very real concern. Especially if you're already weakened. Yours, Lenora.

Booble

I've never heard of that but for a lot of us our bodies are suspicious of any foreign invader.

lenora

Hello @Booble. Yes, I agree that most of our bodies probably are suspicious of any foreign invader.

I've wondered for awhile (b/c that's what I do best.....question or wonder about something) if people who have ME in the younger group, especially, are apt to have had tattoos at some point before or shortly after developing the illness. My generation skipped the whole tattoo scene, so really I was just wondering how many of the group today had them done. This would probably encompass the group of from about 50 on down.