• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

QUESTION: Can Probiotics Cause Detox reaction?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I had a stomach bug a few days ago, with some severe nausea and lots of bloating and yukky gas. The probiotic I had been taking for the past several years, Jarrowdophilous with FOS, wasn't working very well to nix it, so I bought a stronger probiotic, ULTIMATE FLORA Critical Care.

Since starting taking this, my gut symptoms have cleared up, but I have felt very toxic, like I do when I am dumping heavy metals.

Could the probiotic cause a detox reaction?
Anybody have experiences with this? Please share if you do. Thanks.

uni

Hi,

Yes I've experienced a toxic feeling before when taking this probiotic. It also made me hungrier after taking it. I think the probiotics are mixing with the other (probably bad) bacteria in the small intestine and that sets off an immune reaction that causes us to feel toxic.

Lala

I too had problem with ULTIMATE FLORA Critical Care. I do not know if it is detox, perhaps something wrong with probiotic formula..I am taking formula with higher dose o probiotic now without any problem.

jenbooks

I don't think it detoxes. But probiotics give info to the immune system, and maybe this one is upregulating your cytokines and making you feel sick.

A good probiotic is culterelle--most studied of all.

Another good one recently in the news is b infantis (natren makes it).

That's about all I use.

The fancy mixes--I don't like them. I just need one or two that will give my dendritic intestinal cells the messages they need. To calm down :)