• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about de Meirleir's H2S test

RivkaRivka

anyone/everyone,

did you do the H2S test? i just got my kit and can't do the test for 1-2 wks because i have to wait for the antibiotics to get out of my system. do you know if i am to put the unused kit in the fridge or freezer? the directions seem to state both and i can't figure out which.

rivka

Tony

Still working on it all..
Hi Rivka, The kit is stable at 4 degrees Centigrade, so in the fridge is good. This info was on the sheet I got with the test.

Cheers..:)

RivkaRivka

the sheet i got with the kit (today) says

STORAGE
Kit is stable at -18 C in the dark until the kit's expiration date.

and the KDM doctor's office said the same thing to me via email. so when it arrived, i put in the freezer. it is now frozen.

is it okay to use this kit now that it has been frozen? shall i keep it frozen for anotehr week?

Tony

Ahh, so the information on the sheet has changed since last year. It seems the company thinks it best to now keep it frozen until used. But it would have to be unthawed to use so it would need to be transferred to the fridge the night before using it. You've done the right thing if both offices have said the same. The directions seem a bit loose to me...be nice to have simple directions!

RivkaRivka

exactly! ("would be nice to have simple directions")

roanan (sp?) seems to be dealing with confusing directions re: if his KDM-supplied GcMAF needs to be frozen, too, due to conflicting info from KDM's office/staff.

well, i have now thawed my frozen test in the fridge. should i re-freeze it? ugh. i am really confused and just want to call the office and ask. i guess i will on monday.

meanwhile, i was on antibiotics last week, and KDM's office told me to not take the test until 2 wks after i'm off the abx. but i have to leave town and can't take the kit with me on a full day of travel easily. so i'm confused as to what to do: do the test before the 2 wks (since being on abx) are up, or bring the kit with me on a day of traveling? do you have advice, tony?

AND how long do i stay off probiotics and other supplements for, before doing the test?

warmly,
rivka

Tony

Seems like more questions for the office staff. I can only guess that the test is ok in the fridge for a day or so but better stored longer term frozen til you want to use it.

I did the test last year and it came in the post with an ice pack from my local doc. I kept it in the fridge overnite and used it the next morning, testing mild positive. If it was up to me, I'd stick it back in the freezer and use it when you've been 2 weeks off the a/b's. I have no idea about probiotics effect on the test, if any, sorry.

RivkaRivka

I GOT THE ANSWER!!! or at least some of the answers. -- thanks, tony, for yr help!

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:00:36 +0100
Subject: Re: H2S test kit frozen

Dear,

You must not use the kit when Frozen. You can store it either in the fridge between 2 - 8C for max. 6 weeks or in the freezer at -18C for max. 3 months.

To use the kit, please allow it to defrost.

With kind regards,

Protea-Biopharma

H2S per Jacob Teitebaum MD

The easy part of hydrogen sulfide is that it's very aromatic, not romantic. Dr. T says that an imbalance of bad vs good bacteria in the colon and a lack of zinc in the diet ferment gas. Taking a high bio-available zinc supplement helps our body turn H2S into less noxious substances. Men ferment more gas than women...so pls ladies, forgive us.

Fiber, both soluable and insoluable are prebiotic (feeds bacteria), so increasing fiber may make more gas in the beginning but as our body re-balances (homeostasis) it will normalize. All living things give off gas, trees give us oxygen!

My zinc experiment went very well, I take zinc gluconate and my family thanks me. Peas are a great natural source of zinc.

Eat more peas and there shall be peas on earth!:angel:

RivkaRivka

hi all, i did the test. dropped the testing liquid tube on the floor just as i was about to use it, so i lost 1/2 the testing substance. i then proceeded to add the full amount of urine it called for (i should have only added half, as i had lost half the testing liquid). the testing liquid plus urine turned grey pretty fast. i'll bet it i had had more testing liquid in there (had not lost half) it would have turned black.

what is the next step now? where do i go to find out what remedies work for treating this now?

Tony

That's the big question Rivka and I can only suggest some type of doc who would realise that over production of H2S is a problem (and if they think the test has some clinical value...)
If you think that there's something wrong in the gut then I'd suggest that a stool test would be next to determine any parasites and levels of various bacteria to see if there's an overload/dysbiosis. The H2S positive test is indicating that there is dysbiosis but it's really a preliminary test. If you're on your own with this then maybe Dr Myhill's website would be useful. Dr Logan who Cort interviewed a while back (check Cort's site for an interesting read and advice) thought that bifidus probiotics like Align might be good.

Good luck with it all.