• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quercetin, Curcumin bioavailability and different formulations

Hd-x

I had known off Quercetin primary as MCAS medication and buyed a cheap product that did make more harm then any good. Same with curcumin, but tried next a liposomal curcumin product that claims to have 185x times higher bioavailability then all those curcumin/pepper products and "bang", this liposomal product showed an effect.
(unfortunatly also some side effects; next I try Novasol)
After realizing with the right formulation that such products can work - Quercetin was again coming in my focus.

I dont have all Quercetin studies in mind, but besides MCAS treatment as far as I remember it can help to fix an immunological Th2 shift, lowers inflammation (f.e. IL8) and so on.
So this means at last, it can also be usefull for CFS.

On the other side, Quercetin is well known for its poor bioavailability.
Meanwhile there are some (lecithin) formulations with high bioavailability and it looks good so far:
quercetin.jpg
( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30328058 )
The unchelated 500mg Quercetin like shown in the graph didnt really reach the blood stream thus it cant have much benefical effects.

Well, there are some other companies out there adding Vitamin C + Bromelain (instead off lecithin) to increase bioavailability. Did anyone know if this really works and if there are any bioavailability studies about all the other formulations around?

Last edited:

mrmichaelfreedmen

I had known off Quercetin primary as MCAS medication and buyed a cheap product that did make more harm then any good. Same with curcumin, but tried next a liposomal curcumin product that claims to have 185x times higher bioavailability then all those curcumin/pepper products and "bang", this liposomal product showed an effect.
(unfortunatly also some side effects; next I try Novasol)
After realizing with the right formulation that such products can work - Quercetin was again coming in my focus.

I dont have all Quercetin studies in mind, but besides MCAS treatment as far as I remember it can help to fix an immunological Th2 shift, lowers inflammation (f.e. IL8) and so on.
So this means at last, it can also be usefull for CFS.

On the other side, Quercetin is well known for its poor bioavailability.
Meanwhile there are some (lecithin) formulations with high bioavailability and it looks good so far:
View attachment 36009( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30328058 )
The unchelated 500mg Quercetin like shown in the graph didnt really reach the blood stream thus it cant have much benefical effects.

Well, there are some other companies out there adding Vitamin C + Bromelain (instead off lecithin) to increase bioavailability. Did anyone know if this really works and if there are any bioavailability studies about all the other formulations around?

As stated on other thread, have found no advantage with the Bromelain combination (anecdotally). Have combined the dosing with black tea catechins as read somewhere they could increase absorption, no difference.

Hd-x

I got (after some long discussion with the Dr) some new Cytokine bloodwork done and it showed that my IL4 + IL 8 went back to ref range. Quercetin & some other stuff worked (proofable) in my case to lower the chronic inflammation and went my immune system away from the TH2 shift mode.

However, I use Ester C Quercetin formulation together with Fish oil + Cholin/Inositol,
obvisously such combinations may increase bioavailability like Quercetin chelated with Lecithine.

mrmichaelfreedmen

I got (after some long discussion with the Dr) some new Cytokine bloodwork done and it showed that my IL4 + IL 8 went back to ref range. Quercetin & some other stuff worked (proofable) in my case to lower the chronic inflammation and went my immune system away from the TH2 shift mode.

However, I use Ester C Quercetin formulation together with Fish oil + Cholin/Inositol,
obvisously such combinations may increase bioavailability like Quercetin chelated with Lecithine.

Congrats on your favorable blood work 👍

I may try the combination of Vit C and Bioflavnoids to my Bromelain Quercetin, in hopes it may increase absorption.

Hd-x

@mrmichaelfreedmen
The product I use contains besides Quercetin also some other Flavonoide (so it may be possible that also some off the other intrigens may be responsible together with Cholin/Inositol for the lowered Cytokine levels):
Calciumascorbat/Threonat [Ester-C], Bromelain, Rutin + Citrus Flavonoide, Acerola & Rosehip powder