• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pyroluria treatment

Hello,
last year I took a blood test and discovered I have elevated urine kryptopyrroles (0,18 units).
I decided to do this test on my own initiative, since here in Italy doesn't exist neither this exam nor the habit to do exams for anxiety or fatigue.
Now, this is the problem.
The therapy for Pyroluria is zinc and vitamin B6.
When I use zinc picolinate and b-complex my interior anxiety goes away within 4-6 hours.
If I use them for more days, I develop a severe restless, chest stiffness and nightmares.
This anxiety is different from the previous one, since I don't sweat.
I'm writing to know if anyone have these same symptoms.
I daily take:
- 5mg of zinc picolinate
- ½ tablet of b-complex
The thing that makes me wonder is that I take only a small quantity, I don't even want to think the effects for 50mg of zinc...
Now, I have stopped them, obviously.

The second question.
My zinc blood level is 117 ug/dL [range 57 - 141]
so apparently I don't have zinc deficiency.
Doesn't Pyroluria cause a zinc deficiency?
Is there a correlation between blood zinc levels and Pyroluria?
The thing that I'm sure is that zinc for my is anxiolytic and help my anxiety to cease.
It's like night and day, but only if I use for 2-3 days.

Can be picolinic acid in the zinc the cause of increased anxiety?
I have also an elevated kynurenine pathway.
I also notice a delay in symptoms when I halve the dose, so 1-2mg of zinc takes anxiety one-two weeks to appear again.
It's like something takes more time to build up, I don't know...

Hope to hear someone else's opinion.
Thanks

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm thinking it may be something else in the B-complex that is causing your issues.

Usually with Pyroluria I think they prescribe the zinc and just b6.

I cannot do b1 or biotin (because they are sulfur based and sulfur causes headaches and anxiety for me). Nor can I take choline (creates horrible brain fog for days afterward). Many B-complex vitamins have all of those.

Can you just try b6 and zinc and not the complex to see if it clears some things up for you?

I'm sure that Zinc cause me that problem because I use alone.
It's a good advice to use only vitamin B6 to solve the other part of the problem, I'll try it.
I also have headache but only after three-four days of use of vitamin B complex, as I said.
It's tension headache with stiff neck.

I use Biocare b-complex, here are the ingredients.
I use only ½ of this daily.
Vitamin C 40mg
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) 50mg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 50mg
Niacin (Vitamin B3) 50mg Niacin Equivalent
Vitamin B6 50mg
Folic Acid 400mcg
Vitamin B12 50mcg
Biotin 200mcg 400
Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) 50mg
Magnesium 9.5mg
Choline Bitartrate 30mg