• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Puzzling Reaction

belize44

i recently saw a doctor about my symptoms, and he diagnosed me with autonomic issues. There is no clear diagnoses yet, because he wants to do some more testing. In the meantime, he wants me to increase my salt intake. I started taking pink Himalayan salt in water first thing upon rising, and again throughout the day, using anywhere from one quarter to one half teaspoon in water. I also sprinkle sea salt in my food, and keep a chart of water intake so I don't forget to drink enough. On the third day of this regimen, I started having loose stool. (Sorry if TMI!) When I backed off on the salt intake, it seemed to resolve, so I started trying to increase it again because the doctor wants me to work up to about six teaspoons daily. As it is, I can barely tolerate three! I am wondering if I should just salt my food and avoid the salt water? Can salt water act as a laxative? I would appreciate feed back from others who are on a salt regimen. Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
belize44

Are you taking an electrolyte solution or powder? That is important too. Also, a while back, there were some comments about Himalayan sea salt as opposed to other types like Celtic. You might hunt for that discussion to see if there might be something specifically about Himalayan.

I use Celtic plus an electrolyte powder but don't use nearly 6 teaspoons. What further testing is he planning?

Best,
Sushi

rosie26

6 tsps. sounds an awful lot of salt belize44.
I would not want to take that much salt in one day, that sounds like a toxic amount and accumulating day after day. I would stop immediately until you get more advice. Or just have 1-2 tsps a day until you find out more info.

belize44

belize44

Are you taking an electrolyte solution or powder? That is important too. Also, a while back, there were some comments about Himalayan sea salt as opposed to other types like Celtic. You might hunt for that discussion to see if there might be something specifically about Himalayan.

I use Celtic plus an electrolyte powder but don't use nearly 6 teaspoons. What further testing is he planning?

Best,
Sushi
No, I'm not taking an electrolyte solution. Can you recommend one? Also, the further testing is one for Pulmonary Oximetry (an overnight sleep study done at home) and autonomic testing.

belize44

6 tsps. sounds an awful lot of salt belize44.
I would not want to take that much salt in one day, that sounds like a toxic amount and accumulating day after day. I would stop immediately until you get more advice. Or just have 1-2 tsps a day until you find out more info.
Well, I learned that I had not heard correctly about the salt. He did not mean for me to take that much all at once. I made myself sick, even vomited. Now I am not going above two teaspoons, believe me!

Hugocfs

Someone recommended himalayan salt to me once. I did a little research on it (it didn't take long to find out the crap that stuff can be contaminated with). I wouldn't take that stuff if my life depended on it. But do your own research, you'll see.

I make my own electrolyte solution: 2tsp iodized salt, 1.5 tsp potassium chloride, 1tsp epsom salts, 0.5 tsp baking soda in one gallon of water. I drink a quart per day. It is very cheap to make unlike the commercial preparations. But again, this is what I came up with for me. Do your own research and find what is best for you. Good luck.

Seven7

Seven
Ok here is my experience, I could never add the salt I needed without paying the price (loose stool also) so I had to buy salt tablets to be able to go up to 4g a day (sometimes I need 6g). THere is no way I can add that much salt to food and still taste good. So I take the tablets as supplemet at the time I take all my other supplements, I just add to my pill container.

You will know how much salt you need by monitoring your Blood pressure the first days. I try to keep BP 120/80 (my normal BP tends to be low). This BP helps compensate for the 10 point drop I get when standing for long. So how much salt and when do you need is different per person, but you have to monitor your BP to determain how much you need. I know it sounds like a lot of salt but the electrolyte alone does not do it alone for me.

Then on top of the salt, I take one coconut water a day or in crash days, One to half pedyalite a day (electrolyte solution).

I have tried to do my own solution but for some reason (could be the added Zync on electrolyte I buy) I don't do as well. You just have to try different combinations, test, and adjust.

belize44

Someone recommended himalayan salt to me once. I did a little research on it (it didn't take long to find out the crap that stuff can be contaminated with). I wouldn't take that stuff if my life depended on it. But do your own research, you'll see.

I make my own electrolyte solution: 2tsp iodized salt, 1.5 tsp potassium chloride, 1tsp epsom salts, 0.5 tsp baking soda in one gallon of water. I drink a quart per day. It is very cheap to make unlike the commercial preparations. But again, this is what I came up with for me. Do your own research and find what is best for you. Good luck.
Thanks! That is very helpful and I am off to do some of my own research on this salt.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Thanks! That is very helpful and I am off to do some of my own research on this salt.
Hi belize44,

I also mix up my own electrolyte drink. Here's my recipe:
3/8 tsp salt (sodium chloride)
1/4 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)
1/2 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 tbsp dextrose (aka, glucose)
add water to make one liter
optional - juice of 1/2 lemon or lime

Contains 70 mEq of sodium and 20 mEq of potassium per liter
As far as I know you can leave out the glucose/dextrose powder without any problem at all. I put in a little sweetener partly for taste and partly because sometimes I skip dinner completely. I don't care about weight/calories (don't have that problem, luckily) it's just that sometimes I'm too tired to eat in the evening. Plus eating less helps me sleep better. But as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Oh, I should mention that I always drink about 3 liters of liquid daily, either 2 liters water plus one liter of this or 3 liters of water. And I take a salt tablets with meals and a prescription potassium supplement, time released, that has 10 mEq potassium. So this drink is on top of that.

I checked with my doctor (cardiologist) and he didn't seem worried about too much potassium. So I started mixing up this mixture and drinking it more often (I used to just drink some Pedialyte every once in a while).

Good luck figuring out what combination and amounts work for you! :)

Hugocfs

Oh, I should mention that I always drink about 3 liters of liquid daily, either 2 liters water plus one liter of this or 3 liters of water. And I take a salt tablets with meals and a prescription potassium supplement, time released, that has 10 mEq potassium. So this drink is on top of that.

I forgot to mention that I am trying to drink about a gallon a day. And I tend to salt food heavily as well. Like ahimsa, this is on top of drinking the homemade electrolyte solution.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
A gallon a day is quite a lot. Is your doctor aware that you are doing this?

Are you using potassium salt, along with sodium salt, on your food?

belize44

Well, I have stopped using the Himilayan salt, and switched to regular sea salt. The loose stool has ceased! So that stuff probably was contaminated. I am trying to keep my blood pressure at 120/80. Sometimes it climbs to 135 or 140 over 100. It is a juggling act, believe me.;) Now if only I would stop waking up after six hours and find myself unable to resume sleeping again. It is maddening! I had started taking one quarter of a Xanax which helped with the adrenaline surges accompanying the tachycardia episodes, as well as giving me a good nights sleep but it is no longer working. So now I would like to stop taking it because I hate feeling sedated and not able to sleep at the same time. Melatonin and Valerian no longer help either. :( As per the input I have received here, thanks so much, all. I am looking into electrolyte solutions too.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Hi belize44,

I also mix up my own electrolyte drink. Here's my recipe:

As far as I know you can leave out the glucose/dextrose powder without any problem at all. I put in a little sweetener partly for taste and partly because sometimes I skip dinner completely. I don't care about weight/calories (don't have that problem, luckily) it's just that sometimes I'm too tired to eat in the evening. Plus eating less helps me sleep better. But as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

I checked with my doctor (cardiologist) and he didn't seem worried about too much potassium. So I started mixing up this mixture and drinking it more often (I used to just drink some Pedialyte every once in a while).

Good luck figuring out what combination and amounts work for you! :)
Is there a reason for the baking soda? I've just been doing 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp Nu Salt.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Is there a reason for the baking soda? I've just been doing 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp Nu Salt.
I don't know. I've seen different recipes but I don't know the reasons for most of the ingredients other than the basics, sodium and potassium.

Table salt is sodium chloride, NaCl. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3. There must be folks out there who know more about chemistry and nutrition and who could tell you why it might be better to have both in the mixture rather than just table salt (acid vs. alkaline, maybe?). But I confess that I'm not sure.