• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pulsatile tinnitus?

keepswimming

Does anyone experience pulsatile tinnitus as a symptom? This is tinnitus which is linked to your heart beat. Mine is a whooshing noise in sync with my heart.

I have experienced it in the past, but probably only a couple of times over the space of three years. Then when I had covid in April it reappeared and was quite bad for a week. Since then it's come back a couple of times, lasting a few days. I'm wondering if it could be related to PEM as one of the times it happened on a particularly busy weekend.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I get a sort of cyclical tinnitus. It sounds more like I'm hearing a ceiling fan go round and round even when no ceiling fan is going in the house. It doesn't seem to match my heartbeat though so maybe not exactly the same as what you're experiencing.

The only thing that I've found that helps is Ginkgo and I just do a pinch out of a capsule. (Warning: It tastes bad.)

The Ginkgo also seems to help with the tremors or pulsing I started getting in my body in the last few years.

Both conditions seem to be worse at night when I'm overtired and/or overdid it for the day so you're probably right about PEM being a component.

Edit: Someone warns in the reviews on drugs.com not to take Ginkgo if you have Epilepsy as they said it caused them to have more seizures. :(

I don't have Epilepsy or seizures. I haven't had any other issues either with it but again, I only take small pinches at a time. For anyone wanting to try this (who doesn't have Epilepsy or seizures) as always start low and go slow.

Edit #2: Two other reviews there said it caused them to have vertigo. I haven't had that either but thought I should post this info just in case.

Last edited:

Husband of

Does anyone experience pulsatile tinnitus as a symptom? This is tinnitus which is linked to your heart beat. Mine is a whooshing noise in sync with my heart.

I have experienced it in the past, but probably only a couple of times over the space of three years. Then when I had covid in April it reappeared and was quite bad for a week. Since then it's come back a couple of times, lasting a few days. I'm wondering if it could be related to PEM as one of the times it happened on a particularly busy weekend.
I had this when I got sick once (not sure if it was a virus or if it was a reaction to having an open container with dettol in it next to where I was working for a week). Doc didn't think it was unusual.

godlovesatrier

Had it while I had COVID. Thereafter I seemed to be sound sensitive. Several episodes of bad sound sensitivity. I'm still sound sensitive now but I think I can just about listen to music while working so maybe not as bad as I was.