• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pubmed article - Gluten levels tested in GF foods ... shocking results !

HopingSince88

It appears that 'truth' in labeling just does not exist. How frustrating this is for celiacs, or for any person with life-threatening allergies.

My sister has celiac. I have IgG for gliadin. My daughter has IgA endomesial.

It appears I will have to grow my own grain.

xchocoholic

It appears that 'truth' in labeling just does not exist. How frustrating this is for celiacs, or for any person with life-threatening allergies.

My sister has celiac. I have IgG for gliadin. My daughter has IgA endomesial.

It appears I will have to grow my own grain.

Hi Hoping ...

Or you could do what I do and stick to meats, fruits and veggies ... It's pretty sad that our food source isn't safe. This report makes me a little more concerned about the supplements I've been taking too.

I found this link on how to understand gluten cross contamination ...

http://www.diet.com/dietblogs/read_blog.php?title=Gluten:+Is+It+OK+To+Have+A+Little+Bit?&blid=13481

PS. I had a good idea that these foods were cross contaminated since I get ataxia, myoclonus, insomnia, etc from gluten but it's a relief to see that our govt is now taking an interest in this. For anyone interested ... the website www.glutenzap.com is dedicated to testing GF foods too ...

xchocoholic

For those of us who need to watch out for gluten ...

Living Gluten-Free

by Tricia Thompson, MS, RD, The Gluten-Free Dietitian Subscribe Contamination of Naturally Gluten-Free Grains

posted @5:00am ET on June 1, 2010

http://www.diet.com/dietblogs/read_...+Naturally+Gluten-Free+Grains+++++&blid=19524

The following products contained above the limit of quantification for gluten:

Product/Mean ppm
Millet flour/305
Millet flour/327
Millet grain/14
Millet grain/25
White rice flour/8.5
Buckwheat flour/65
Sorghum flour/234
Soy flour/2,925
Soy flour/92

HopingSince88

I have been thinking about buying a grain mill and buying grains in bulk and milling them myself. Has anyone else here done this? Is it a worthwhile pursuit? I have done a good job of avoiding wheat/gluten, but I have replaced them with other grains (quinoa and millet mostly). I would love to be able to make my own millet bread/rolls from scratch (I think).

xchocoholic

I have been thinking about buying a grain mill and buying grains in bulk and milling them myself. Has anyone else here done this? Is it a worthwhile pursuit? I have done a good job of avoiding wheat/gluten, but I have replaced them with other grains (quinoa and millet mostly). I would love to be able to make my own millet bread/rolls from scratch (I think).

Hi Hope,

I don't do well with grains but back when I was eating them this group was experimenting a lot with milling their own grains. This link will take you to the recipe section and you can take it from there ... enjoy ... BTW .. the Pubmed article and Tricia's article both said that some of these grains are heavily cross contaminated with gluten so they aren't good for anyone with gluten intolerance. Soy flour was the worst ... Funny thing is that when I first went gf back in 2005, everyone was so adamant that some celiacs could handle a little gluten and now they're being more realistic about it. We were called the "super sensitive" celiacs ... lol ...

http://www.glutenzap.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=445ee9eedffa3570f712e9e1b5845ea2